• You are viewing our Exotics and Rare Species forum. Please review our Forum Guidelines and Cephalopod Care Ethics Statement to ensure you are appraised of the dangers and considerations related to pursuing exotics and rare species as an aquarist. Threads in this forum are not featured on our homepage.
  • Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. To contribute to the discussion, register here, and perhaps Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.

Strange octopus

teuzzo

Hatchling
Registered
During a night dive in Philippines, i filmed a strange octopus.
It was in 1,5 meters of water in sand and rock bottom.
Its size resemble those of the blue ring octopus.
I was very impressed by his behavior.
Compared to the other octopusses, it did not camouflage with the bottom but it relesed a strange skin effect.
Frequently a dark row start from its head and goes down till the front arms like a flash.
I had the impression that he told me: be careful, i am dangerous!
Is it possible that this octopus is poisonous?
Like the blue ring and the flamboyant cuttlefish.

You can see a part of my video here: http://www.vimeo.com/4181085

Let me now if you know this octopus and if its behavior is known.

teuzzo

Hatchling
Registered
I don't now, maybe a seastar's arm?
But do you know this octopus?
And do you know his behavior?
Is it an octopus aculeatus?

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
The display pattern is called the "passing cloud" display. I have seen it in Octopus cyanea, O. bimaculoides, and rarely in O. rubescens. Cuttlefish will also do this (look on youtube for "passing cloud")
There have been paper published on this display, see http://journals.cambridge.org/downl...11a.pdf&code=aafa2f8ff61f6e9c9a01ec5fab104dcd . If you can't get to it by that link, let me know.
I really can't say right off the top of my head what species it is. Arm length, frontal white spot placement and body shape make me think that it is in the Octopus vulgaris species complex, or closely related, but I am really just speculating.

teuzzo

Hatchling
Registered
Thank you Taollan, you have a private message.
I would like to know everything about this behavior and this octopus.

From this video, I don't think that it's supposed to look like a passing cloud going by overhead. How many clouds actually go that fast? It flashed the line every time it touched down and held still for a moment. It seems like it was trying to make it's outline more indistinct or something.