• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Strange Hurts in my Octo

marla

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi!
some weeks ago I've asked about octopus parassites.
My octo has always the same strange hurts on the head and between the eys. I'm sending you the pictures of them. Now in the hurt in the head there's a cut too.
what do you think it could be the cause?
:confused:

Attachments

• conv_303274.jpg
    conv_303274.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 100
  • conv_303275.jpg
    conv_303275.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 122
  • conv_303276.jpg
    conv_303276.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 109
  • conv_303277.jpg
    conv_303277.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 115
I'm sorry no one has replied, but we have fewer people looking at Ceph Care when there's a holiday weekend. I can't quite tell what I'm seeing in the photos. Is it the white specs? What do the close ups show? It might help if you could describe what we're seeing in these photos.

Nancy

What type of octopus is it? I thought that you had said Octopus vulgaris in the last thread but I am not sure.

Perhaps you could give a little bit of background information on this specimen as I do not recall much about it. It is fairly old correct?

Greg

some more information

Here are some more information about my octo.
It's an Octopus Vulgaris that we took in Mediterraneo sea, in the Toscany's coast (Italy), about 10 months ago. We have a big tank for it (about 2000 lt) that with mantain at 19°C.
The octo is about 1,5 kg and we give it mostly crabs and anchovy.
The hurts are white, without spots or other signs in. The one on the head is well defined, instead of the other between the eyes that are more irregular.
Someone suggests that the hurts could be caused by hitting the tank and the rocks in the tank. If it is true, what could I do to prevent the hits?
However, do you know where can I get some information about Octopus parassites (books, journals,papers...)?
I don't know if you want some other information.
Thank you for your help.

One of the octopuses I had in the past had the same type of injury. I say injury because it just appeared one day. The areas eventually healed but never regained the ability to change color as I guess the skin was so damaged it could not so it stayed a greyish color. I think he somehow got injured.

I'm sorry, Marla but I think it's old age. We see this all the time as our octopus's age, they seem to get depigmented "scars" and are more prone to cuts and scrapes that won't heal we've never had any success in treating it (we've tried tetracycline, betadine etc). :cry:

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back