• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Still not eating

Ok I will see if anyone else has anything to add. Thanks for all of your help so far though. I have the light set towards the front of the tank so the whole back of the tank where it hides out is all in the dark/shade and it does not get any direct light if that helps at all.

Yes, any metal halide is too much light - octopuses really don't need any extra light, but we usually put a not too powerful light on the tank. This is so we can see, our coralline algae will grow, etc.

Blue moonlights (which are the standard) may be agitating, too. You could use red, but not blue.

Nancy

I think the light could effect him not coming out... but I think the real problem is him not eating... but if he is as small as I am thinking my guess is that he is eating pods...

Yeah thats what I am thinking that he is eating because I used to have a whole bunch of pods and I do not see any pods anymore. I had ordered some fiddlers from aquacultures.com but the ones that they sent me were way to big. They were bigger than he was. He has a bunch of hermits and snails to eat if he runs out of pods and gets really hungry. Will he eat something that he may not necessarily prefer rather than starve? I am going to have to leave the temp at around 80 because I cant get it any lower and I cant afford a chiller right now. Hopefully it is the right temp. Thanks again for all the help.

Yeah I dont exactly understand why it wont go any lower. Even with the MH light off and no heater and we only keep our house at about 70 degrees. I guess it is just from the power head and skimmer. I cant think of what else would be keeping it so warm. Southern California is not all that warm as it is cold and raining.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back