Stay safe

This is totally off topic, except that she looks like a real monster from the sea. I hope that nobody on Tonmo is in the path of hurricane Katrina...she's huge and at 175 mph incredibly dangerous. Looks like New Orleans might catch the brunt of it

Agreed. The following report from NOAA is astounding and says it all. Thoughts and prayers are directed to everyone in that area.

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/iwszone?Sites=:laz062

Urgent Weather Message for Orleans, LA
Top of pageTable of contents for Orleans, LA
WWUS74 KLIX 281550
NPWLIX

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA
1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED

HURRICANE KATRINA
A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED
STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT
LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL
FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY
DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.
PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD
FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE
BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME
WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A
FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH
AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY
VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE
ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE
WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN
AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING
INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY
THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW
CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE
KILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR
HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE
CERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.

ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTURE
OUTSIDE!

LAZ038-040-050-056>070-282100-
ASSUMPTION-LIVINGSTON-LOWER JEFFERSON-LOWER LAFOURCHE-
LOWER PLAQUEMINES-LOWER ST. BERNARD-LOWER TERREBONNE-ORLEANS-
ST. CHARLES-ST. JAMES-ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST-ST. TAMMANY-TANGIPAHOA-
UPPER JEFFERSON-UPPER LAFOURCHE-UPPER PLAQUEMINES-UPPER ST. BERNARD-
UPPER TERREBONNE-
1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

I have friends there that I've not been able to reach. Hopefully they're well away from the city by now! When FEMA authorities start using terms like 'biblical' to describe the level of damage it becomes truly terrifying.

Just saw the latest images...truly staggering !!! Hope everyone weathers it alright.

greg

I've just read so far 80 have been confirmed dead. This is dreadful news and I hope no-one here is affected.

Symapathies to all the families of the bereaved and dispossessed.

I've been home sick today and have been following all the rescues attempts and new developments. My heart goes out to all affected. The remenents are supposed to be in our area tomorrow.

I'm afraid that it will be a long time before we have any kind of reliable numbers of the dead. There are so many area where homes were totally swept away by the storm surge. If anyone was trying to ride out the hurricane they didn't have a chance, and people are still trapped on roofs and in attics in heavily flooded areas. It's awful! The Guv of Mississippi said that a lot of people had hurricane fatigue, they've evacuated so many times before when the worst didn't happen that they no longer believed in the warnings. The boy who cried wolf syndrome.

How are they going to pump the water out of New Orleans? That doesn't look to be the kind of project that's only going to take a month or two. There's also a very real possibility that this year's hurricane season is not quite finished with the area yet. I'm hoping for the best, which I'm sure is still far worse than I could possibly imagine. What a silly place/way to build a city!

I hope that this disaster will at least serve to make us a little more sympathetic to the plight of others around the world who find themselves in similar situations, but with only the tiniest fraction of America's resources available to see them through. I think the Red Cross will be hearing from me pretty soon, even though I tend to be a bit of a misanthrope.

New Orleans knows a lot about pumping water out of the city, that's one of the things that's gotten them into this mess--they've been actively draining the city for dozens of years to prevent floods, which ends up compacting the soil and causing the city to settle deeper below sea level. Everything they have done to mitigate the natural hazards inherent to the area have only made them worse.

This was only a glancing blow. If people in New Orleans have "hurricane fatigue," they should think about relocating. It is almost inevitable that the city will be destroyed, perhaps in our lifetimes??

I hate to sound insensitive--indeed I have the utmost sympathy for anyone in the area without the economic means to get out of harm's way--but New Orleans is the ultimate example of man trying to subvert nature and paying for it with his own life.

Dan

DHyslop said:
New Orleans knows a lot about pumping water out of the city, that's one of the things that's gotten them into this mess--they've been actively draining the city for dozens of years to prevent floods, which ends up compacting the soil and causing the city to settle deeper below sea level. Everything they have done to mitigate the natural hazards inherent to the area have only made them worse.

This was only a glancing blow. If people in New Orleans have "hurricane fatigue," they should think about relocating. It is almost inevitable that the city will be destroyed, perhaps in our lifetimes??

I hate to sound insensitive--indeed I have the utmost sympathy for anyone in the area without the economic means to get out of harm's way--but New Orleans is the ultimate example of man trying to subvert nature and paying for it with his own life.

Dan

An excellent point.

P.S., don't you mean:
I hate to sound insensitive--indeed I have the utmost sympathy for anyone in the area without the economic means to get out of harm's way--but New Orleans is the ultimate example of humankind trying to subvert nature and paying for it with its own life.​

Gender Sensitive, now!

Cross-section of New Orleans. Quite unnatural.

NOLA.jpg

Such a horrendous situation, it's really overwhelming.

I love New Orleans: amazing architecture, terrific cuisine, great people (just keep an eye on your wallet). This is just dreadful, tragic, and worst of all, completely expected. Like Venice, Italy, another city sinking due to the removal of groundwater, New Orleans has been facing this for a long, long time now, and the people of Southern Louisiana have all been aware of this inevitability. To their credit, they were about as ready as they could be under the circumstances, and a huge percentage - those able to - did evacuate to safety. Now the governor of Louisiana is considering the first total evacuation of an American city in about 140 years. But what happened in Biloxi was on a tsunami-like scale. Plus evidently 40% of the local population chose to ride it out at home. The storm surge was 30 feet. Dreadful.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back