Stay safe

Galveston has a 17 foot seawall and the land is raised beyond that, then sloped to drain quickly. Galveston did some major rebuilding and raised the entire city after the hurricane at the turn of the century. In 1915 another Category 5 hurricane hit the city, but that time they weathered it with little damage.

There are people who have built further west on the island, beyond the seawall and the city, and that's a different matter. Current building code requires homes on stilts and everyone is aware that a storm surge and flooding are possibilities.

The NRCC is on the bay side, not the ocean side, of the island, within the city of Galveston.

Nancy

Wooo classes at A&M Galveston cancelled for the rest of the week! I'm rather afraid for my apartment though... it's right next to the Seawall. Best I can do is take my cat and everything i love with me.

Well, we'll just see where this hurricane goes and how strong it gets.

Fluffysquid,

Wishing you safety and security in the face of Rita!

That goes for everybody in Rita's path.

Yes, please evacuate. We'll be thinking about you and hoping that the sea wall holds and all your stuff ( and everybody else's ) is safe and dry. Of course, we know you'll be safe and dry because you won't be there, right?

Thank you everyone. Having no intention of weathering a hurricane of any strength, I packed up cat, clothes and computer and got the heck outta there late last night. The school is shut down and evacuated, mandatory evac of the island begins today. I hope there's a school for me to return to after this is all over... and I must say, it's a bummer for the transfer students we took in from Tulane and UNO!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back