• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Starting to Raising Hatchlings (and a nitrate issue)

scolopes

Cuttlefish
Registered
I have two issues. The first is that the pH of my system has stayed at 20 for the last week and a half. Why isn't it going up? Should I be worried? My pH is a little high, could this be causing the nitrates to not increase? my ammonia and nitrites are staying at 0. I just dont know if I should be worried.

Secondly, I am going to be trying to raise some eggs to adulthood and I need to set something up to raise mysids for food.
1-what is the easiest/cheapest way to grow mysids
2-where is the best way to get them FAST?
3-any suggestions on other foods/good technique for raising hatchlings? (these are Euprymna scolopes squid- they are very small)

If I am able to raise them sucessfully I may have some to offer in the future. they are very cute (see my avatar) Any help is appreciated!

scolopes

Cuttlefish
Registered
I made a last minute change to the title which is why it says "starting to raising" instead of starting to raise...oops

www.oceanpods.com is a good source for ordering live pods to start your population with. Some LFS's carry similar products, bottles with a piece of macroalgae, and sometimes visible pods.

I have HOB refugiums for our seahorse tanks. They are crawling with pods and I have a hunch that they would make great baby ceph nursery's. I ordered them on Ebay and paid about $30-$40 for them, shipping included. Here's the link to the store: http://stores.ebay.com/usa-refugium

If you can take the general idea and build your own out of something larger, it would be even more beneficial to your cause. I imagine you could take a 10 gallon, or even larger tank with a powerhead for circulation or just a small filter and a strong light, put a deep sand bed in it, a few pieces of live rock, and a ton of macroalgae, or just let some crazy hair algae go nuts in it. Probably sounds insane to most experienced marine aquarium keepers, but I have found that my pods boom in the nastiest places. The refugiums aren't pretty, but I can count dozens of pods at any given time.