• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

starting my Sepia officinalis cuttlefish tank

Hello all, If the information on the cuttlefish I just received is true then it is a Sepia officinalis cuttlefish. I am treating it as such, cooler water. For now it is in a 30 gal tank, in a breeder net. Cooler water temp (68 degrees) the rest of the stats are normal. It is 3 days old and more active than my dwarf cuttlefish. It seems to like to swim around more. Later I will catch him in a clear cup so I can see the front of him/her. Hasn't started eating yet shrimp are in with it now.

The shop will call me after they get the other eggs in. Will try to get 2 more. I am going to need a bigger house! :madsci:

Well, The cuttlefish itself lived for about 5 days and died. The place I ordered from said they will be getting in another cluster of egg within a few weeks and will send me my back order. I have drained and cleaned the 30 gal starter tank and drove to the place i use to get my water from in Dayton, when I kept them in the past. The water there I know for a fact is good. But, Yes later in life if all goes well I will purchase a tank like that and use it to keep them when they get bigger.

Still waiting, no luck on the eggs yet. But I also found a 12 foot round 4 foot deep pool today with filter for 129.00. That might work out well for an enclosed outdoor cuttlefish tank with a water bed heater to keep the temp 50 - 60 degree in the winter with a added heater to keep the room warmer. I might make a back porch to enclose a small pool or tank. We will see if I get the cuttlefish I want to keep. I need to win the lotto and move into the ocean. :read:

Well still no luck on the larger cuttlefish. One can only hope someday they will appear again. I would love to know were Octopets got eggs from and what he had file to get them in the US.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back