• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Starting an octo build, can I get some advice?

Thanks for the info. I'm not too worried about the scratches so I'll take out what I can and the rest hopefully won't be that noticeable. I just need to get a stand and bulkheads so I can probably leak test this thing.

What's the verdict on gsp or other polyps?

I've not tried green star polyps but they are not offensive (chemically) to other corals so chances are they should be ok. Again, I recommend putting anything you try on a removable rock and observe. I tend to avoid anything that will spread that fast but gsp is likely to be find where small zoe's can be a big problem. Any coral/polyp that stings its neighbor to acquire space is best left out of the experiment.

Eat your spinach before beginning your tank sanding :biggrin2: and get the full range of recommended grit (you can and likely should skip the final liquid polish step). Most kits will tell you the range of grits included and I highly recommend not skipping any.

I was thinking of using Novus products instead of sandpaper because I'm hoping I will be a bit easier. However I've seen some people use both with good results. I'm not going to buy the Rainbow Aquatics kit because odds are I wouldn't be able to do the whole tank. I'll probably just pick up some sand paper in various grits if I decide to use both methods. I tried using some turtle wax today and while it definitely made a difference, it won't remove any scratches. It might work for a polish though, in case any one was wondering. Oh and as far as Novus is concerned, buying it online from a plastics company is saving me $20 over the LFS.

Time to start building a stand! My old tank is gone now so I'm getting pretty excited about the new one. Unfortunately, due to a move and a month without a job most of the money from my old tank is going to bills. Kind of disappointing since I could almost finish this tank with that money. Time for a build thread?

Time for a build thread?

Absolutely and include a link to this one for the story on how you came about acquiring it. Be sure you note the differences in the methods you are using and record the results with each. Avoid using wax on the inside. It won't be good for the water and won't do anything for the tank once the saltwater removes it (it is more of fill than a buffer).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back