stanley's journal

kjlittle0

Cuttlefish
Registered
hello, my name is kevin and my new octo is named stanley. i named him after the detroit red wings octopus who is named stanley after lord stanleys cup. he is my firt octo and im pretty sure he is an o. mercatoris. i consider myself an expert in salt water aquariums when dealing with corals, lighting and most popular fish species but this little guy will surely put my expertise to the test!

getting him into an aquarium was some what rushed because of 6 breeding banggia cardinals with an attitude problem. when i brought him home i was just going to let him sit in a cricket container underneeth my corals in my frag tank but the fish decided they wanted to eat him, even though they have been completely docile towards all other species that have entered the tank, even new born coral baned shrimp. but they picked at his cage until he inked twice so i set up a 15g hex with an under gravel filter and put him in that, i used the water, substrate, and live rock from my reef tank so wouldnt have to worry about it needing to cycle, and that worked thankfully.

the first day he just kind of hung put behing the under gravel filter tube and didnt move much, the next morning he took comfort in a den that i had built him out of live rock but still seems very shy.

i have got some great help from people on here and am going to get some red lights for the tank and hopefully ill have some pics of him eating soon or cruising the tank at night!

these are the pics i have right now, no great but i have my camera sitting right by stanley's tank in case an opportunity comes around for a great picture.

Attachments

• conv_303507.jpg
    conv_303507.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
  • conv_303508.jpg
    conv_303508.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
  • conv_303509.jpg
    conv_303509.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
  • conv_303510.jpg
    conv_303510.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
Yup, definitely a merc.

I kept a merc in a community tank, inside a critter keeper. He had a stalker, dwarf lionfish. Funny though, he would also stalk the lion, wasn't scared of it at all.

I will venture a guess from the all eight on the glass picture that Stanley is Stacie or is still not sexually mature as I see no sign of enlarged suckers. Time will tell. If she is female, it is likely that she has mated and will have viable eggs if she broods in the next 3 (and as much as 4) months. Unfortunatley, as you should have read, she will not live long after the hatching. If you can keep her eating (not an easy thing to do) while she broods, she may live a couple of weeks longer.

It is a good thing that she is hiding during the day. When a merc starts to stay out in the light, the end is near.

WOOO HOOO! Another Motor City ceph head! Where did you get your new friend? I live in Livonia and love the "Pet Connection! Do you go to MASM meetings? I'd go more often if there were more ceph owners... The meetings are held at Cranbrook, maybe you'd like to go next month?

My first octo was named "AL" for Al Sabotka, the ice manager for the Wings who got into trouble for octo twirling during the play- offs last year. Right now I also have one merc (Mongo) in a 20 gal, and another octo in my 55 gal.

Good luck! We'll have to round up more local ceph heads and take over a MASM meeting!

I read your other post after answering to this one, as far as food goes, my merc is taking out hermit crabs as fast as I can throw them in. Being somewhat local to you, I'd love to know where you get your aquarium supplies- I'm always looking for cool locally owned stores as opposed to box chain stores where the employees never seem to know anything. Plus, I like my $$ to stay in my town whenever possible.

PIPE DREAM: I'd love to petition the Illich family to sponsor a ceph exhibit at the zoo... "The Sanleyquarium"- a place for Hockeytown residents to enjoy our favorite symbol of victory ALIVE!!

i actually work at the aquarium on merriman and five mile, everybody knows bill, ill be in all day today if you get a chance stop by and give me some more info on the meetings, ive been trying to start an aquarium club here at wayne state but i cant get anybody into it.... i thinks its funny how the people from this area are naming there octo's after red wing realated things!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back