Stands

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Be careful when you read my term laminate. I was explicitly referring to counter top material that is designed to get wet. Typical veneer is NOT suitable for warding off water damage.

Jocco

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
@JingoFresh Thanks for the tank/stand suggestion, but we did get a tank with an overflow box built into one of the corners. We will mesh or sponge over it. The tank itself is long and rectangular. We have the flat top with the hinges, and the strong clips to help prevent escaping. I will post the tank in another thread; don't want to hijack my own with tank talk when it is actually supposed to be about the stand.

@DWhatley Ohhh... ok... those are cheap, and a cool fix too... adds color to an otherwise boring stand. Thanks!

Jocco

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Alrighty! It is starting to come together finally! Snafu a plenty.

First we had to play tetris with stuff we already owned to make room for the tank and stand. TLFS brought the wrong tank initially. It was a regular tank where everything would be hanging out of the top... we read and told them we couldn't do it because the ceph would escape! Now we have a tank with an overflow box in it. We put mesh over the top and secured it, but there are slits in it - I'm guessing they need to be ceph proofed too. And a hole around the output thingie hose water ejector... that needs to be patched up.

Then we had to get a stand. The one I bought off Amazon was far too wobbly for anyone's comfort... and had to wait for stand #2. Thankfully I can return it to a Petco and get credit.

What to spend the credit on... we're not sure... but I'm sure there will be something. We just want the most bang for our buck.

TLFS dudes just left after setting up the stand, heater, tank, sump, sand, salt, and water! Tomorrow we're going to get live rock, hermits, snails and fish. We don't want to stare at an empty tank for 2-3 months. They said they would exchange or take back the fish when it was ceph time. I'd let the ceph have its way with the fish... but I don't want to stress the lil'un out.

We didn't set up the protein skimmer, going to wait for the last month. They're also getting us another top. We'll put weights on it. We also have the light without the red filter.

Check'er out!

20150303_204351.jpg 20150303_204300.jpg

Attachments

• 20150303_204351.jpg
    20150303_204351.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 20150303_204300.jpg
    20150303_204300.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 223

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
LOL, setting up a tank CAN be fun but HAVING to set one up - not so much.

You don't need red lights during the day but if you end up with a nocturnal you will want one. If your light is removable and sits on a clear plate, you might eventually consider replacing it with a free standing LED set up (still hard to find one that will do both blue/white and then all red for night.

It will be awhile (about a month) before you can add fish or other critters (snails might be possible sooner but they don't add much interest). The first cycle will kill just about everything so you need to get through your initial ammonia->nitrite->nitrate conversion and wait until you see 0 on both the lethal ammonia and nitrite. I recommend good adding good live rock, interesting clean up crew and overfeeding the scavengers rather than adding fish. Fish hardy enough to survive in a newly cycled tank tend to be the most aggressive, the hardest to catch and the most stressful on an octopus if they are not removed. Additionally, most "cycle" fish will have been treated with a copper based medication to prevent/cure ich and makes them deadly for invert consumption (never feed freshwater fish to a ceph as pet store feeders are always treated this way).

I second skipping the fish, there are lots of really cool invertebrates that are fun to watch. Also, try to pick up some live rock, it will really help your filtration system and provide more surface area for the bacteria you will need.

Jocco

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Oh ok - no rush then - We were waiting since December to get it this far, it is good to know that we have to wait, rather then spend and kill animals. We don't want that.

I saw somewhere here that it is good to have 1-1.5lbs of live rock per gallon? Did I jot that down correctly?

How does the Ammonia cycle/conversion work? Does it come from the rocks? The cleaner team? We are brand new to tanks.
I (Jackie) had fresh water as a kid, so I only know what it is like to look at a fish tank lol.

Jocco

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
We now have 30ish lbs of live rock and an alien wreck!
Took out some water because of the displacement in the sump.
Still playing with the layout, and more rock will come soon. Had to pay for the stand with this batch of rock, ouch, haha.
20150304_183852.jpg 20150304_173543.jpg

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
It looks like you got decent rock - good job :biggrin2: So often the rock looks pretty dead. Since yours still has some coraline algae, it is likely to have been well cared for. Keep in mind that each time you add new live rock, you are beginning a new cycle so try not to wait too long before you add the majority. LR can be cycled in another tank (yours is likely pretty well cycled, ie most of the dead stuff has decayed and (hopefully) contains the bacteria you need to encourage.

In stead of trying to describe the nitrogen cycle I will first recommend a little reading (but come back with questions if the references become confusing or invite more questions). We have several threads containing a lot of good information for people just starting out in the Octopus Care stickies. I have tried to collect some of the better discussions and put them under the heading Posts with info for New Octopus Keepers. It contains a list of prior discussions linked by topic. One of the topics has info on how a tank cycles. Every think is linked so all you will need to do is click to find the info.

That same set of stickies (the yellow thread links that stay at the top of the page) there are some good tips on what animals will do well with an octopus (and those that won't).

Jocco

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Picked up the rest of our live rock today! My mother is giving us a conch shell for the far left side of the tank. I think we're at 70-80lbs now, in a 55 gallon tank.

Attachments

• 20150308_170535.jpg
    20150308_170535.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 172
  • 20150308_170152.jpg
    20150308_170152.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 183
  • 20150308_170217.jpg
    20150308_170217.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 165
  • 20150308_170223.jpg
    20150308_170223.jpg