SQUIDCAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afraid not (re Steve Martin); it's just that I'm not too creative when it comes to names for pets (and all three cats are called 'Sh*thead' also ... although wifey has more eloquent names for them - I did actually get to name one of them - called her 'moggy'). ALL(!!) respond to Sh*thead.

I'm afraid that we sucked the kumura with more squid eggs today - two different sites turned up zip; will have another look tomorrow eve in silt-infested harbour waters, before heading further afield.

Well, get ready for the return of SQUIDCAM, and the return of SQUID. The eggs will hatch within the next 24hours, and then we can lower the current flow in the tank and turn SQUIDCAM back on. We should be up and running very soon.

You ready Eric? They'll be small, only ~ 5mm total length when they hatch, so they will be hard to see for a while.

I can't believe that we are doing this all over again.

Squid have proven extremely scarce this year (winter-spawning ?cohort) - weird weather and temperature - and in all of the dives that I've done recently (last week's one nearly killed me with an exhaustion-induced blackout at ~80 feet) we've only collected two bunches. The first-collected bunch hatches tomorrow (and maybe even this evening).

That's wonderful news!!!! And guess what "Doc"? A coworker is an avid Neil fan! I have to pick up an album of his from Costco next time I go! Anyway, looking forward to the cams return!!!

Carol

CapnNemo said:
Excuse my ignorance, are they Archi?

Afraid not; good-old broad squid (Sepioteuthis australis) again. Sounds silly, but everyone is a little nervous this time around, despite having done it before on quite a few occasions (poor 'squidvicious' is going to grey in 3 weeks, because his thesis depends on these little brutes surviving).

I thought about that Tony (it also overcomes the problem of missing images in the first part of this thread).

Consider it done when it's up and running.
Cheers
O

There's a slight holdup with getting the new SQUIDCAM operational, because it has been moved from an 'office environment' to a wet laboratory (and obvious apprehension on the part of IT to have this equipment surrounded by salt creep and water).

There are about 14 x 1-5-day old squid in the tank at present, and they are doing well. Whether this goes online next week (when we are gone at a conference) or not waits to be seen, but it is imminent. I am closing this thread and starting a new one, SQUIDCAM II, for further updates. Cheers.
Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back