SQUIDCAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve O'Shea said:
BTW, if you want a chance to see these things hatching, you'd be best to check it out ~ 0700hrs NZST; be looking at the lower egg capsules.

Hmm... not sure how the conversion goes, with daylight savings time and all, but I think that's about noon here in California. Will be watching =)

For those who might be witnessing the joyous event of squid hatching. Please do get a few screen capture (Print scrn on the keyboard, open sofware such as photoshop or even Paint iirc and crtl+v to paste the screen capture) :nyah:roud:

TPOTH
--unlikely to be awake that early

They're hatching! :squid: :baby: :squid:

Haven't seen one actually emerge from an egg yet, but you can see a few of the little guys swimming around now!

edit:
The first baby squid picture from this batch:
babysquid.jpg

The squid (white blur) is swimming to the left. Yes, horrible quality, but I'm having to fight with other spectators to control the camera; makes it hard to get a good shot.

edit2:
Well, I don't see a tank full of squid. Did I jump the gun and call some other tiny beast a squid?

-Brandon

The webcam is going to be down most of tomorrow afternoon, while I install a sump and the chiller unit. You'll probably hear me swearing from where you are (in fact it would be a hoot if I left the cam on and you saw me in operation, swearing).

I dislike sumps ... as in balancing flow rates, and I've got to keep the flow real low, as there's squid in a second tank in there right now (they've been separated as they'd die in the present flow regime), so there are going to be valves on each and every line (hope I don't burn out power heads). Cross fingers we don't have a flood!

You should be able to see squid tomorrow; they're doing fine. Have been running around like a mad man today and didn't get a chance to sort out the tank.

Well, we've had a full-on day and had to empty the tank and install new fittings, sump, banjo filters, chiller unit, air pumps ... and .... shudder .... against my better judgement for recently hatched squid ... a protein skimmer, all in the sump, and now use the powerhead to pump water from the sump to the main tank (this recirculating system makes me rather nervous; read a number of the 'sump' threads on 'Tank setup and maintenance'; Col, Nancy, you two do a marvelous job!!)). Unfortunately you cannot see any of this 'behind the scenes' stuff, and to me it's the most interesting part.

I've still separated the larvae from the main tank, even though it is now suitable for them, but will add them tomorrow, once water quality/clarity improves, and maybe even remove the clump of eggs (and keep this separate; you need two totally different tank/water flow environments for the two; they cannot be kept together in such a small system). So, if you tune in tomorrow you should see live squid - there should be ~ 100 in there (but remember, the paralarvae are small - it will still be ~ 20 days away before you can track them or observe them properly); they'll probably be hanging around the surface.

Touch wood all goes to plan.
Us

Hmmmmm; ok - go away & post (coz I've not seen the prep disarray pics myself); tank is nice & cleaned up now; any hour I'll get the squid in there.

Steve,
what photoperiod are the eggs getting? When i check in it must be your night but the eggs are always lit...

Matt, you're not a General Post Office! You're a Giant Pacific Octopus.

The software is set up to give you a designation depending on the number of posts you've contributed. (Except that moderators and supporters don't have any such designation.)

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back