SQUIDCAM II

is it just me or are the squid rather syncronized? when you watch them swim, they all move at once, and I was wondering if that's a behavioral thing.

Watching Squidcam this morning, but the focus was all wrong, it was focusing on the algae on the glass rather than the squid, redering Squidcam blurry.

Anyone noticed this problem or is it just me.

Oh dear; I am in Australia at present and cannot attend to it; I get back tomorrow and will try and fix the problem then. (someone must have knocked it)
Ta
Me

He's still going strong, but is being removed tomorrow for a few hours for a film shoot. It is nearing the end of its life now - there's not much squid left in him; maybe another 20 days ....

...... and he died this morning, just PRIOR to the film shoot! This is an ABSOLUTE catastrophe!!!!

I don't know if I'll do this again; it's too much work.

Don't give up Dr. Steve! You and Squidcam are an inspiration to us all! I've personally learned a lot from Squidcam and I appreciate how much work goes into such an endeavor, but it's totally worth it from this end anyway. Please reconsider...

Cheers; we'll start from scratch again, SQUIDCAM III (new thread) before July 14, don't worry. Nighty

Yup. We had intended to have SQUIDCAM III up and running before July 14, to coincide with an expected release date for a new giant squid documentary on Discovery Channel. The documentary appears to be delayed (when I checked the DC web site for this date, then for the rest of the month, I noted that it was not scheduled yet).

We were diving yesterday (the middle of our winter, in 20 knot wind gusts ... rather unpleasant), looking for various things, one of which was squid egg masses to allow us to start this work all over again. Unfortunately we didn't find any, although I am aware that the squid (Sepioteuthis australis) have now entered the harbour, ultimately to deposit their eggs on kelp. We are off again on Thursday coming, weather permitting, and hopefully will soon have something here to commence the culture work all over again.

Once we have the eggs and I incrementally increase the temperature in the tanks (currently 13°C ... brrrrrrr) to ~ 18°C, then the eggs should start hatching in ~ 3 weeks. So, within a month we'll have SQUIDCAM III operational again. I'll close this thread down and we'll start anew.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back