• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Squid tank

• Thread starter Deleted member 14033
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 14033

I have discovered a video depicting something interesting. Squid being kept in a tank that is not cylindrical...
This goes against my general understanding of squid keeping.
My understanding was that squid could not handle the way a rectangular tank resonates.
Then again the information I learned that from could of been circumstantial as those tanks were on a boat.
This is not the first video I have seen with squid in a tank that wasn't cylindrical

I've seen a few of these as well; there is some interesting global content out there along these lines -- but it's usually just short video, without much helpful context, and/or translations are not clear. Good example of that here.

@Steve O'Shea had tried this many years ago, indeed bringing larval Architeuthis back from a boat trip, albeit in cylindrical tanks -- I want to say they only survived 14 days? There's a thread on it somewhere, and there was an earlier documentary where they were only kept for a couple of days, here's a reference to that... but there's much more backstory there in the archives:

I've seen a few of these as well; there is some interesting global content out there along these lines -- but it's usually just short video, without much helpful context, and/or translations are not clear. Good example of that here.

@Steve O'Shea had tried this many years ago, indeed bringing larval Architeuthis back from a boat trip, albeit in cylindrical tanks -- I want to say they only survived 14 days? There's a thread on it somewhere, and there was an earlier documentary where they were only kept for a couple of days, here's a reference to that... but there's much more backstory there in the archives:
Yeah Steve is where my information comes from as well. I recall one of the problems being the tank material and then the other problem was the way the tank/tanks? resonated because of the boat itself.
I also think its more of to do with the squids physiology. I have seen more than one video of squid in a "rectangular" like tank. Not sure if that is the right word though.
The common thing I have seen is they all appeared to be sepioteuthis species. So maybe there is some thing to that type that makes them candidates for aquariums that are more rectangular.

So maybe there is some thing to that type that makes them candidates for aquariums that are more rectangular.
what we don't know (I don't think)... is for many of these videos.... how long did they live like that? For all we know, then put them in the rectangular or angled tank for 10 mins, shot their video, then returned them (or kept going and they abruptly died).

what we don't know (I don't think)... is for many of these videos.... how long did they live like that? For all we know, then put them in the rectangular or angled tank for 10 mins, shot their video, then returned them (or kept going and they abruptly die
Possibly. Here is more examples though.

One appears to be a public exhibit.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back