Squid 'sight': Not just through eyes - EurekAlert (press release)

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
Squid 'sight': Not just through eyes
[SIZE=-1]EurekAlert (press release), DC[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]MADISON — It's hard to miss the huge eye of a squid. But now it appears that certain squids can detect light through an organ other than their eyes as well. That's what researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison report in the current issue ...[/SIZE]

More...

This is very interesting, but I have another thought that's not in the article: since the light is produced by bacteria, maybe the intensity is variable, and the photoreceptive cells are there to detect how much light the bacteria are producing, and match the light organ opening to that light level compared to the ambient downwelling light detected by the eyes.... of course, this is all just a guess on my part...

Kat,
Thanks for the link (I think). I signed up for their emails but it will take me forever to read even the most current interesting articles!

I think Euprymna scolopes can actually control the amount of bioluminescence given off by the V. fischeri bacteria.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back