Squid Seminar at Dal

Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to share this exciting bit of news: Michael Vecchione of the Smithsonian Institution is coming to Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada (where I am!) to do a seminar entitled "Weird Deep-Sea Squids and the Nature of Natural History" tomorrow, December 15.

I am so frigging excited! I've kept an eye out on the biology board where they post open lectures, but I never expected one so specifically tailored to my interests to show up. Its going to be such a great break from studying.

A quick search on Yahoo! turns up that he's one of the scientists who published the discovery of the ?Magnapinnidae mystery squid (you can check the web for fabulous videos of this cool creature if you haven't already). Really looking forward to seeing what he'll be talking about.

Anyways, if anyone in the area wants to attend, I'll see you there (as of late, though, I've yet to meet anyone in the area here on TONMO. But hey, there's always hope!). I'm got further details if anyone needs them.

Cheers!

Back from the talk, and was ok. I guess I was expecting a little more about other deep-sea squid, and he only really talked about the Magnapinnidae mystery squid which he helped to publish. There was also talk about what else he does, what natural history is, why its important, etc. Interesting still, with some very good points about how inductive, descriptive, observational science isn't really considered "science" and needs to be, and the importance of it. Had just a quick word with him as it turns out he's the President of CIAC (I think I heard that right). So I basically just said that I'll see him there and not too much else. I look forward to reading more about this Magnapinnidae squid, he said that they bleep bleep bleep bleep.

Cheers!

main_board said:
bleep bleep bleep bleep.

.... just had to have a quick edit there Jesse; it might be a 'sehkrit' that they'd like to keep under wraps until such a time as it is published; anyone who read the original post must now forget everything they read.
Cheers
O

Steve O'Shea said:
.... just had to have a quick edit there Jesse; it might be a 'sehkrit' that they'd like to keep under wraps until such a time as it is published; anyone who read the original post must now forget everything they read.
Cheers
O

I saw the secret! I saw the secret! :razz:

(congratulations, you've caused me to revert to a 3rd grader!)

Tintenfisch said:
(busy composing wheedling PM)

Do not succumb to her wheedling ways, at least not until missing Neil paraphernalia has been returned safely to me.

This may be the locus of the largest scientific scandal ever--give it a few months and people are going to be writing letters to Science asking to have their names retracted off of papers because their data was leaked by some undergrad in Canada! :smile:

Dan

DHyslop said:
This may be the locus of the largest scientific scandal ever--give it a few months and people are going to be writing letters to Science asking to have their names retracted off of papers because their data was leaked by some undergrad in Canada! :smile:
....oops? :roll: :goofysca: So much for that career, :goodbye: dead before it even began!

At first I couldn't even figure out what was happening. I was thinking "I didn't write that, what the heck happened?!?!?!" Then I read the post. Thanks for fixing that, Steve. I guess I kind of assumed that since he told an audience of atleast 30 people, predominantly composed of biology profs and scientists, that it wasn't that secret. But I suppose better safe than sorry, especially considering that I like to think of myself as someone who can be trusted with information (and I would like others to think that way as well, though....)

To those who saw the "sehkrit", please just look over here at this little red light...:arrow: :alarm: *FLASH*

Oh, and don't worry Steve, the PM never came (though I'd be interested in what Neil paraphernalia is missing...)

Cheers!

main_board said:
(though I'd be interested in what Neil paraphernalia is missing...)

If you're $20 interested, one of the super bonus features about shelling out the cash to become a supporter is so much information on that topic it'll make your head spin... :roll:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back