squid question

agent_M

Hatchling
Registered
hi, i recently saw a small squid on tv that mimics its surroundings and changes its skin colour to avoid being eaten, like floating upsideodwn near some coral and sticking its short tenticals out like bits of the coral.
it also has a fin on ether side of its head/body(dont know proper name :smile:) that move like the fin on a knifefish.
i was wondering if anyone knows the name of this squid it would be greatly appresheated.

thanks

Agent M,

Welcome to Tonmo, first of all! If this is the same footage I recently saw, then you were looking at the Caribbean Reef Squid (help me guys if this is wrong - sepioteuthis - I'm just typing that in without double-checking 'cause I've got to run for the dry-cleaners before they close). What program were you watching?

Erich

Agent M,

Just back from getting alterations done. I believe you saw sepioteuthis sepioidea. Unfortunately, we don't have a smilie for that one, so here's :squid: instead.

I'm sure you guys are right (I haven't seen the footage in question :sad: ) but lots of inshore squid are great mimics! Ideosepius pygmaeus (sp???) is another that does the float upsidedown pretend I'm a leaf thing!!!

J

it was a show on bbc1 or 2 about evoloution i think it was on earlyer in the week and was talking about the fins on knifefish and other creatures i think it was mainly talking about spines, there was one on today aswell about feet and legs being formed

agent_M said:
it was a show on bbc1 or 2 about evoloution i think it was on earlyer in the week and was talking about the fins on knifefish and other creatures i think it was mainly talking about spines, there was one on today aswell about feet and legs being formed

Ahhhhhh well, we'll probably get it in NZ some time next year then !!!
:lol:

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back