Squid Jigging

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
It can prove quite productive!! Unfortunately we didn't have a camera with us when we were out, but the following are a couple of pics of the booty!! The squid is currently devouring everything in sight! We'll be doing this again, and again, and again, and ....

download.php

Here are a couple more; partners in crime being Nik (from Kelly Tarlton's), a man who can catch anything, and Lady TTF, aka Kat.

It was late or early, I forget which when this was taken, and the video camera (that the pic was taken on) doesn't have a flash, so everyone looks a little dark (whilst the squid is completely over-exposed, given the overhead tank lighting). We'll sort something out soon re better lighting/images.

download.php

download.php

Squid eyes

Dr. Steve, how different are these images of your squid's eye from that of Architeuthis? Does Architeuthis (as well as other large squids) have an eye structure similar to these?
Would you have a close up picture of Architeuthis eye?
-Chris :bugout:

I went to see the squid today at Kelly's and was blown away by the size of this animal. I wouldn't be amazed if it ate all the fish they had in the tank. Just hope we can keep him going for along time and that he gets a proper name.

Felipe

Even though I'm not going to repeat the name Steve gave to this poor animal, I thought it was the coolest thing I have ever seen.

This is a pic from today at Kelly's.

You should baptize it soon Steve.

Felipe

download.php

[Ed: just resized the image Felipe, and cleaned it up a little; also, deleted double posting above; trust you don't mind; me]

Cool pics...jigging is usually when bait is dropped and raised vertically to attract the target animal...at least here in the states, gosh knows what those wacky NZ'ers are up to ! :biggrin2:

Re: Squid eyes

cbarela said:
Dr. Steve, how different are these images of your squid's eye from that of Architeuthis? Does Architeuthis (as well as other large squids) have an eye structure similar to these?
Would you have a close up picture of Architeuthis eye?
-Chris :bugout:

Quite different Chris; as you can see in Felipe's image above, of the animal peering straight at you, the eyes are actually covered by a cornea (Myopsida). In Architeuthis (oegopsid squid) the eyes lack the cornea, and the lens freely communicates with the water.

I'm afraid I have nothing as good as any of these pics of an Architeuthis eye.

cthulhu77 said:
Cool pics...jigging is usually when bait is dropped and raised vertically to attract the target animal...at least here in the states, gosh knows what those wacky NZ'ers are up to ! :biggrin2:

*WHEW* That's a relief... For a brief, albeit disturbing moment, I got the impression of Steve O as a rapper, singing "Big squiddy's styles all in it... Gettin' jiggy wid it."

Although, Steve... You should consider becoming a street rapper. Not many Nuzi rappers on the Billboard Charts...

Sushi and gin and juice, yo

John

Scouse said:
How do they cope in a tank like that compared to a cylinder??

Howdo S; it doesn't seem to mind all that much. When first placed in there late one evening it sank to the bottom and behaved much like a cuttle would. Within 30 mins it was freely swimming around through the tank (it is a jellybean-shaped tank, with rounded ends, rather than rectangular/square). It took it a few minutes, but it very quickly figured out exactly where everything was in the tank, avoiding any vertical obstacle (weed, airlift etc.) whilst swimming backwards (but not appearing to look where it was going). Not once has it jetted into the tank wall, despite it being on public display, with hoards of onlookers (including kids).

It actually stays in position for you now, looking at you as intently as you look at it.

So, you prefer the beer and batter version :wink: Yummy!

Im sound thanks Steve, hope your cool mate.

Its good to hear its coped well considering you usually have to go the cylinder route.

Sounds like it'll be squarin up to ya soon an tellin ya to get the kettle on!!! :lol: :lol:

Here are a couple more pics for you to look at, whilst I go get the skillet hot and put the kettle on :wink:

download.php

download.php

download.php

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back