Squid Body From Whale Stomach

........ummmmmmmmmmm. Thanks Kevin. I 'kind-of' edited that photo in the final publication ........ (as in cut myself out of it)

Steve O'Shea said:
What you could have in your floating blob is an intact arm, coiling around at the rear of the mantle, looking like a fin.

That was indeed a tricky one. I'm not saying the jury is out, but it is more likely than a mystery squid with a very short mantle and funny fin.

I'm glad at least SOMEONE agrees with me :smile:

One thing though; if it's indeed an octopus, then what is the almost sepia like gladius doing there? If it's a (partly extruded) gladius at all to start with?

I'd say that the 'gladius' that you've labelled is actually the ripped open funnel (it's in the right place), or some severed arms viewed in a peculiar fashion; that gladius on a fresh specimen like this, if that's what it was, would be completely transluscent - you'd be very lucky to see it.

I can't say for sure that this is octopod, or that the coiled thing out the back is a fin or an arm, but I certainly lean towards the octopus theory rather than squid right now. The photograph isn't exactly the most helpful ... it's a teaser!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back