Squid beak for sale on ebay

Andy Lister said:
You do have to worry about the conservation and ethics issues on this. We are all civilised ceph loving people and are talking (albeit mostly joking) about going fishing in mexico... what about all the other nutters who just want money... im sure this is how elephant hunting for ivory started... well not on Ebay but you get the idea!

Indeed. Well said Andy.

Case in hand...have a look at this. If I am reading this right, this fisherman is selling an Architeuthis(?) beak for $50,000. No matter how rare they are, this can't be right.

It makes one wonder, how do biological artifacts get valued? Who decides a common conch shell is worth $5? Supply and demand, I suppose.

Phil said:
It makes one wonder, how do biological artifacts get valued? Who decides a common conch shell is worth $5? Supply and demand, I suppose.

Its all supply and demand. Sotheby's had a big vert fossil auction about a year and a half ago and they were bidding things down. McDonalds and Disney paid about 8 million for the Field Museum to get Sue, I suspect today it wouldn't go for anything near that.

Dan

Andy Lister said:
You do have to worry about the conservation and ethics issues on this. We are all civilised ceph loving people and are talking (albeit mostly joking) about going fishing in mexico... what about all the other nutters who just want money... im sure this is how elephant hunting for ivory started... well not on Ebay but you get the idea!

Hey I was just going to go to the fish market, plenty of dosidicus there and the beaks just get thrown away.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back