• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Spinning Cuttlefish

321Boom

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hello. I have two S. Bandensis that are about 1 centimeter now. One is doing just peachy, but one started floating at the surface on Wednesday. I recognized this as a sign of hunger/starvation and began feeding her 3 times per day. She the stopped this. But On Friday, she started spinning around in circles (clockwise) on and off. I turned all pumps off and the it continued. She now is not moving at all except slight tentacle curling and is unresponsive/not eating. My water quality is good. I can't think of anything it could be. Has anyone else had something similar to this happen? Thank you.

Mostly PE frozen mysis shrimp and a couple other diferent brands. I thought some live food would be good so I got live adult brine shrimp. The cuttlefish in question did not seem to like the brine, but the other cuttle would eat as many as I put in the net breeder.

Spinning seems to happen when the cuttles are on the way out. Sadly, I would guess yours is done. What caused it? Could be anything from starvation to simply not a strong animal. We do see some groups of hatchlings suffering high moralities and others suffering few. It could be the food source, but we just don't know about frozen foods in relation to survivability in S. bandensis. Brine is generally thought to be a poor food for any ceph. I don't think you did anything wrong - we see this a lot in cuttles.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back