Spike - ZyanSilver - Baby Bimac on his way!

A Month for Spike?

Hard to believe Spike has been with us for a month or maybe even over. I introduced the large green mega block a few days ago. His first reaction was to ink and swim a safe distance away where he sat with the conehead behavior for about 10 minutes. After he realized it wasn't going to come after him, he stalked very cautiously for about an hour. When he finally reached out and touched it with one leg, he must have realized it wasn't a threat as he was all over it. Of course he's not big enough where his weight would make it sink, like Ink used to do, but it has become a favorite pass time to stalk it, hitch a ride for awhile at the surface and then jet away. He bothers me daily for food. I think he sleeps when we are gone cause as soon as I come into my bedroom at the end of the day, he's out and then plastered on the glass on the front of the tank watching. I think he's tripled in size since he arrived.

Glad to hear that Spike is doing so well and has a new toy. Maybe he'll learn to ride it around just like Ink did! Nice pics!

Nancy

Spike Update

He's a brat...Talk about an octopus with an attitude. I am afraid to put my hand in there expecially after the last time he got ahold of me. He eats a 2" crab daily. Seeks me out when he is hungry. I am very pleased how fast he is growing. I would say he's tripled in size since I got him.

Spike Pics

When I left this morning, Spike was out pacing and then perched on the cleaner magnet. He is such a little pig! Eating daily. He must have been raising heck in his tank because some how he tipped over the large shell he's been living in and has things pulled all over the place. We had to find another food source today, as the frozen prawn is just not enough for him anymore and he ate all the local crabs and snails I have collected. We stopped at the local seafood market and bought a 1/4 lb of large shrimp, which I cut up into sections and now have a good size bag frozen until I can hit the local bait shop and get him some green crabs. He is huge. The 2 months he's been with me, he has tripled in size. Right now he's perched on top of the shell he toppled eating a piece of shrimp.

What kind of octo is Spike?

He has beautiful coloration, and he doesn't look that big. I would like to eventually get one if it could fit in a 29 gallon tank. What are some care tips/requirements for his species?

Spike is a captive bred O.bimaculoides or Pacific Two Spot Octopus from Zyan in California. He was overnighted to me 2 months ago. 29 gallon is too small to reasonably house a bimac. His size today, curled up, about the size of an orange. Mantle about 2 1/2 ". If you check out the articles in Ceph care there are very good guidelines to go by. You can't go wrong if you follow the advice outlined. And yes, I think he is absolutely beautiful and is constantly amazing me with not only his coloration, but different behaviors.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back