Spike - O. Burryi

... and then, as if by magic the video appears :sagrin:

Our VBulletin software will allow direct embedding. Some sites will give you a link option for bulletin boards but the best way to post a video on TONMO from YouTube is to go to directly to the video and copy the URL from the browser then use the movie icon and paste the full URL in the pop-up.

No reason to apologize, this is Spike's journal and NEEDS to capture all that you do with him/her.

Hey D, In the first video at the :26 mark it has a tentical up against the glass curled at the tip is that what you were talking about?

I have not been called that since my teens :wink:

The look is similar but you can't count on looking for it when feeding as they will also use the arm normally. Some males make a bigger show of keeping the arm curled than others. I replayed the video several times and can't determine which arm I was looking at but I believe that WAS the third arm on the right and the tip appeared darker so the answer is MAYBE. Keep observing as he starts to come out more. Did you find the photo collection on sexing your octo (the blue type is a link in post #12)? There are several good shots there that will help you see what you are looking for. Of course SueNami ended up being a boy named Sue because that arm was missing when he came to the aquarium. I assumed that, since it is normally protected and less likely to be missing in a male, he was a she. Not until the arm grew back was it clear that he was careless with his reproductive conduit. There is also a channel that runs down the arm and the arm tip is somewhat funnel shaped and will not have suckers. I can almost never see the channel or tip difference in a live animal but I have been able to find it in well focused pictures. The arm curl is quite distinct and is seems that older the animal is the more often it the arm is kept rolled up.

As an interesting aside, there is one octopus (Ameloctopus litoralis) that sheds its arm at sexual maturity and grows a new one. The original arm does not have the channel or ligula (specialized tip). There is another, the Paper Nautilus (Agronauta, more than one species), that completely loses its hectocotylus when it mates. It is unclear if the arm is, as sometimes reported, thrown at the female or he just lost during mating. The specialized arm is called a hectocotylus and when found in the Argonaut was originally thought to be a new parasitic worm. The name remained when its actual function was clarified. Note that, in spite of what you will read on the net, the hectocotylus is a conduit for the sperm packets and not the penis (which exists but is found inside the mantle).

Oh, and when referring to cephalopods, octopuses have 8 arms, squid and cuttlefish have 8 arms and 2 tentacles. Often you will see the words used interchangeably but the distinction is important in cephs. The extra appendages are part of what defines the difference between a squid and an octopus and helps define their feeding methodology.

Ok today I tryed to get Spike to come out of the rocks all the way. Being pretty stuborn about it I was able to get a pretty good video of his coloration and patern. After reviewing the video a few times something started to kind of concern me about what species this guy is. I remembered a picture I seen on a dive site from cozemel.

Heres the picture of an O. Vulgaris that they took on a dive. And a video of spike today.
I hope im wrong.

Attachments

• conv_300086.jpg
    conv_300086.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 88
Other than tank size :biggrin2: O. vulgaris is probably my favorite (but Neal says my favorite has a lot to do with what I am keeping at present). It took me a long time to decide LittleBit was O. vulgaris but she finally was just too big to be O. joubini. However, we saw a lot more pattern change than you have posted and she displayed very red when tiny. Here is a link to a collection of looks I put together into a single photo. Note that I have a question mark after the species in the title. I initially thought LittleBit was vulgaris (see initial photo) but she grew so slowly that I decided I was wrong and that she had to be O. joubini. Then she kept growing :biggrin2:

LMecher's El Diablo was most likely the best example of a Caribbean O. vulgaris that we have journaled.

The lined pattern is one of the looks you will see in photos but so many animals have been classified and declassified as O. vulgaris that it has become more of a complex than a species.

I am sticking with my O. buryri guess. Looking at Norman's Cephalopod's A World Guide he mentions the O. burryi should show "dark brown lines running down the front of each of the first three arm pairs". Unfortunately, the sample animal does not show the afore mentioned stripes so they are not always visible (as is often the case with identifying markings) :roll:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back