Spike - Abdopus ?

Its possible that he saw his reflection in the glass and was doing a little mating dance maybe? He hasnt done it for the last few days but it was really cool to see. I had never seen any of my octopuses display this behavior.

Update on the tank transfer...

The transfer went very well. Once I made sure Spike was in his rock I just scooped it up, put it in a transport bag closed it up and set him aside. I drained water from his old tank to the new tank and put all of my macro in there to help with filtration along with about 10-15 lbs of live rock. It was going to be to difficult to set up the tank using the old filtration so I just had to make do. I will be testing the water everyday and doing 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon water changes daily.

It was confirmed that the transfer went well when I came home after picking my daughter up from school and he was out on his rock watching TV. He seems to like the kids cartoons, actually all of my octopuses have liked cartoons. Not so much regular tv but cartoons always bring them out to watch whats happening.

Heres a picture of his temp set up. There is a plastic heater set to 75, a bubbler, koralia nano, and a cheap little filter from walmart for placing my carbon if I need to (not using cheap walmart carbon though). It has roughly 5 different macros in there which will help with nutrients export.

The bubbler isnt in the tank like that any more its in the filter on the back, this limits the amount of bubbles that make it into the tank.

Attachments

• conv_298945.jpg
    conv_298945.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 119
I absolutely love the skunk look! Very nice pics! And I think they do react to their own reflections!!! Whether it's mating behavior, I have not idea. I always thought it was aggressive and that they were trying to intimidate the other octopus :mrgreen: with all their impressive displays!

corw314;185759 said:
I absolutely love the skunk look! Very nice pics! And I think they do react to their own reflections!!! Whether it's mating behavior, I have not idea. I always thought it was aggressive and that they were trying to intimidate the other octopus :mrgreen: with all their impressive displays!

I love that one with the skunk stripe. I was to say, all hail his royal pope-dom lol.

Another picture. You know, I find I never really take pictures of my fish but I take pics of my octopuses ALL the time. I videoed the feeding and will be posting it when its done loading/editing.

Attachments

• conv_298951.jpg
    conv_298951.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 93
  • conv_298952.jpg
    conv_298952.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 98
I love him! He makes me NEED another one in the house. I told that to Shane today and he said once we get the 300 gal reef set up (going where our 120 is) then he will plum in like a 40 or 60 gal for an octopus tank into the system and we can have another. I said how about the 120 .....for someone larger :smile:. He said guess we will need a larger skimmer....lol

I completely understand lol. When I first started keeping octopuses I couldnt get enough. I ended up with 4 tanks and 3 octopuses and about drove my husband crazy with octopuses. I am so glad he told me he missed them. Cause I was really going to just move on for a while.

I have been fairly lucky with getting octopuses from Live Aquaria and I consider myself fortunate for that. Spike really is a sweety. Feeding time makes me feel like I am nursing a baby kitten or something because of the way he eats. It was quite by accident too. I had no crabs and needed to feed him something so I figured that would do till they got here. Now I dont know what I will do with the crabs I have because size wise they scared him and he hid. I still dont know if he ever ate the crab.

So its official Spike is male. Last night during feeding time he was out dancing on the front of the tank and I was able to get a good look. I noticed that hes not missing just 1 but 2 arms. They both have new growth of about 1 inch on each arm. So far hes been the model octopus. The transfer hasnt slowed him down even a bit. I do water changes everyday of about a gallon, though I forgot to last night. That just means that I will need to do one here in just a bit.

I dont know when my tank will be ready. My friend whose repairing it has cut his thumb so hes waiting until this weekend to start it I think. Hopefully it wont be to long.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back