[Octopus]: Spider and Cletus - 2 new octos aculeatus mabie??

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
made a 7hr drive yesterday to pick up my first octo in person from ny aquitcs but i couldn't decide on one so i got 2. one is very small with a mantle the size of a marble and the other the size of a grape, bolth came from the same distributor as well as the other 2 they had in stock wich all looked to be the same species. they wer still in the bag from arival that morning. bolth of them ate 2 gohst shrimp last night during aclimation and in the tank, the small one took live shrimp right from the tongs on the first and second try, the larger one is more cautous and didn't take the shrimp untill i released it and moved away. i'm going to get some grass shrimp and hopfuly some small fidlers tomorow they also have plenty of snails and hermits in their to snack on
i can't seem to get good pics of the small one( i know they need names) but heres a few of the big guy
anyone care to vairify or corect my id.

Attachments

• conv_305330.jpg
    conv_305330.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 167
  • conv_305331.jpg
    conv_305331.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 178
  • conv_305332.jpg
    conv_305332.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 152
  • conv_305333.jpg
    conv_305333.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 174
a few more of the big guy, the spot in the rocks is wear he has been since last night, it's funy becouse the last resident of this tank was a mantis shrimp that went straight to that same spot and stayed their for two days when i first put her in the tank.

Attachments

• conv_300368.jpg
    conv_300368.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 174
  • conv_300369.jpg
    conv_300369.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 159
the only shots i could get of the little one, first in the bag flashing what i would guess would be angry colors and then in the tank trying to look like a mushroom, the hole behind that mushroom has been his home for most of today.

Attachments

• conv_300372.jpg
    conv_300372.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 181
  • conv_300371.jpg
    conv_300371.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 170
  • conv_300370.jpg
    conv_300370.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 155
Cool! but I don't think these are aculeatus. Arm length is too short and the colors are different. they do have a star pattern around the eye, but several species have that.

Humm, Picture #2 on post #2 looks familiar and NOT Abdopus complex. I am jealous if it is what my first impression suggests but I hope you have a couple of big tanks! Maybe they will be small like LittleBit. I could be wrong but I agree with CaptFish that that one does not look like any of the Indonesian animals we see.

I've had two Atlantic's in the last two years that were way smaller than standard size. I waffled away from my initial call on both of them because of the slow growth rate and sizing but in both cases (LittleBit and Yeti) I returned to my original call and decided they were just small. It will be interesting to see how these two grow.

ok your scareing me a little, what do you mean by "big tanks" the larger one is in a 72 bowfront now and the small one is only in my 45 hex mangrove tank for now but he's tiny, i also have a 92 corner up and runing that will become home for one of them in the future, do i need to plan for bigger than that?

Good call on making the drive to pick them up yourself; I'm in the Buffalo (NY) suburbs, & am probably going to make about that drive myself...& most likely to NY Aquatics, as I think they're the closest reputable ceph sellers to me. How was your dealings with them?

...How did you transport them? Did you leave them in the same bag they arrived at the shop in, or did you devise some type of travel ser up?

Tentacle Toast;193549 said:
...How did you transport them? Did you leave them in the same bag they arrived at the shop in, or did you devise some type of travel ser up?

they arived that morning and wer still floating in the bag they wer shiped in, this was prearanged so they did not have to be aclimated twice in the same day, i was going to bring a cooler to keep them in but i forgot it on the counter with my camera at home.
they wer good to deal with, i told them they would probably sell more octos if they posted decent pics so peapole could see what they are geting but they don't even have a camera in the shop. they still had 2 octos left when i left but i didn't see them listed on the site, mabie theyr going to take pics of them to relist.

DWhatley;193542 said:
Humm, Picture #2 on post #2 looks familiar and NOT Abdopus complex. I am jealous if it is what my first impression suggests but I hope you have a couple of big tanks! Maybe they will be small like LittleBit. I could be wrong but I agree with CaptFish that that one does not look like any of the Indonesian animals we see.

I've had two Atlantic's in the last two years that were way smaller than standard size. I waffled away from my initial call on both of them because of the slow growth rate and sizing but in both cases (LittleBit and Yeti) I returned to my original call and decided they were just small. It will be interesting to see how these two grow.

soo.. what is your first impresion?? the seller insists that these are indo or "bali" species

I'd still guess something within Abdopus. Sometimes at rest the arms fairly pretty short (2-3x mantle length) and the body color patterns are definitely within range.

I hope you are right Mucktopus (sort of, LittleBit was a big favorite). The only picture that left a strong impression was #2 bottom and the eyes in that look very vulgaris. GPX, I am probably just seeing things but I will tell you that suppliers rarely know where the animals are collected and it would not be the first time an Indonesian turned out to be something else entirely.

so if they do turn out to be vulgaris will the 72 and 92 be big enuf to house them?
so far they have been visable on the rocks most of the day and nowear to be found at night the little one sems to prefer the suny side of the tank in the morning.they bolth took a gohst shrimp from the tongs this morning. i'm gutloading some grass shrimp with phyto and oyster feast in a bucket right now and i'm going to offer them each another shrimp tonite and add some to the tanks for them to chase, mabie ill try hand feeding them without the tongs
the little one has been jumping from barnicle to barnicle today

Attachments

• conv_300373.jpg
    conv_300373.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 132
I would say, no way except LittleBit was fine in a 65+ so the answer is not known because you don't know how large they will get. Hopefully my guess is off base as you are well equipped for most any other species. We expected to have to convert the 145 for LittleBit but she only grew to O. briareus size.

I will also warn you that any behavior (especially "friendly" but time of activity as well) you observe over the next 2 weeks will not likely be what follows. It takes them about that long to really acclimate to the tank and at least a month to properly claim their dens (you will know this is the case when they show their arms when you clean near their den). I mention this not to dissuade you from hand feeding but so that you will not be disappointed when they become reclusive for awhile. Typically, once they are fully acclimated they will start slowly to trust you and expect daily food service. Feeding at specific (within an hour) times daily is the best suggestion I have to promote "trust".

Your latest picture does not change my opinion on species possibilities :roll:

my larger octo was dancing around the glass tonite for about an hour then i looked away for a second and he's gone, it almost seems like he doesn't want me to see wear he go's.
after geting a good look for a while i think this ones a male, a few pics show the third arm being smaller than the rest and it was often curled when he was at rest on the glass

Attachments

• conv_300374.jpg
    conv_300374.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 131
  • conv_300375.jpg
    conv_300375.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 113
  • conv_300376.jpg
    conv_300376.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 108
  • conv_300377.jpg
    conv_300377.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 107

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back