[Octopus]: Spider and Cletus - 2 new octos aculeatus mabie??

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
made a 7hr drive yesterday to pick up my first octo in person from ny aquitcs but i couldn't decide on one so i got 2. one is very small with a mantle the size of a marble and the other the size of a grape, bolth came from the same distributor as well as the other 2 they had in stock wich all looked to be the same species. they wer still in the bag from arival that morning. bolth of them ate 2 gohst shrimp last night during aclimation and in the tank, the small one took live shrimp right from the tongs on the first and second try, the larger one is more cautous and didn't take the shrimp untill i released it and moved away. i'm going to get some grass shrimp and hopfuly some small fidlers tomorow they also have plenty of snails and hermits in their to snack on
i can't seem to get good pics of the small one( i know they need names) but heres a few of the big guy
anyone care to vairify or corect my id.

Attachments

• conv_305330.jpg
    conv_305330.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 123
  • conv_305331.jpg
    conv_305331.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 130
  • conv_305332.jpg
    conv_305332.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 109
  • conv_305333.jpg
    conv_305333.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 120

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
a few more of the big guy, the spot in the rocks is wear he has been since last night, it's funy becouse the last resident of this tank was a mantis shrimp that went straight to that same spot and stayed their for two days when i first put her in the tank.

Attachments

• conv_300368.jpg
    conv_300368.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 123
  • conv_300369.jpg
    conv_300369.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 113

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
the only shots i could get of the little one, first in the bag flashing what i would guess would be angry colors and then in the tank trying to look like a mushroom, the hole behind that mushroom has been his home for most of today.

Attachments

• conv_300370.jpg
    conv_300370.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 107
  • conv_300371.jpg
    conv_300371.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 124
  • conv_300372.jpg
    conv_300372.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 119

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Cool! but I don't think these are aculeatus. Arm length is too short and the colors are different. they do have a star pattern around the eye, but several species have that.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Humm, Picture #2 on post #2 looks familiar and NOT Abdopus complex. I am jealous if it is what my first impression suggests but I hope you have a couple of big tanks! Maybe they will be small like LittleBit. I could be wrong but I agree with CaptFish that that one does not look like any of the Indonesian animals we see.

I've had two Atlantic's in the last two years that were way smaller than standard size. I waffled away from my initial call on both of them because of the slow growth rate and sizing but in both cases (LittleBit and Yeti) I returned to my original call and decided they were just small. It will be interesting to see how these two grow.

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
ok your scareing me a little, what do you mean by "big tanks" the larger one is in a 72 bowfront now and the small one is only in my 45 hex mangrove tank for now but he's tiny, i also have a 92 corner up and runing that will become home for one of them in the future, do i need to plan for bigger than that?

Tentacle Toast

GPO
Supporter
Good call on making the drive to pick them up yourself; I'm in the Buffalo (NY) suburbs, & am probably going to make about that drive myself...& most likely to NY Aquatics, as I think they're the closest reputable ceph sellers to me. How was your dealings with them?

Tentacle Toast

GPO
Supporter
...How did you transport them? Did you leave them in the same bag they arrived at the shop in, or did you devise some type of travel ser up?

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
Tentacle Toast;193549 said:
...How did you transport them? Did you leave them in the same bag they arrived at the shop in, or did you devise some type of travel ser up?

they arived that morning and wer still floating in the bag they wer shiped in, this was prearanged so they did not have to be aclimated twice in the same day, i was going to bring a cooler to keep them in but i forgot it on the counter with my camera at home.
they wer good to deal with, i told them they would probably sell more octos if they posted decent pics so peapole could see what they are geting but they don't even have a camera in the shop. they still had 2 octos left when i left but i didn't see them listed on the site, mabie theyr going to take pics of them to relist.

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
DWhatley;193542 said:
Humm, Picture #2 on post #2 looks familiar and NOT Abdopus complex. I am jealous if it is what my first impression suggests but I hope you have a couple of big tanks! Maybe they will be small like LittleBit. I could be wrong but I agree with CaptFish that that one does not look like any of the Indonesian animals we see.

I've had two Atlantic's in the last two years that were way smaller than standard size. I waffled away from my initial call on both of them because of the slow growth rate and sizing but in both cases (LittleBit and Yeti) I returned to my original call and decided they were just small. It will be interesting to see how these two grow.

soo.. what is your first impresion?? the seller insists that these are indo or "bali" species