Spectre has arrived!!

PB240272.jpg

PB250272.jpg

More pics to come!!! He inked when I was trying to get him out of the jar but it cleared up quick. Otherwise everything is going smooth!!! They even threw in 4 emerald crabs with him :]

All I know is that it's a tropical octopus :P I got it from islandmarinelife on ebay. They don't have them listed but sometimes they can get them in!

I'm praying that its not vulgaris

His head is about the size of a golf ball. The arms are really long compared to it, so it makes me think that its briareus - which is exactly what I wanted!

:welcome: Spectre!

The color is very briareus typical, but that's hard to judge. Does it have a lot of webbing?

First thing I thought when I saw it was Briareus and had to re-read your post a couple times to make sure you didn't post that it was a Briarus, I would eat my hat if it wasn't...

monty;128429 said:
Does it have a lot of webbing?

I haven't seen him really out in the open at all yet :P I hope to get more pictures in the next week or two and share some stories with you guys!!

As luck would have it, 6 hours after I get the guy my overflow box stops taking in water and my main tank starts to overflow. Long story short I ripped the overflow box off and am going to build my own out of PVC tubing tonight! I hope the poor guy doesn't get too stressed from all of this.. worst time for it to happen!

I will have to be honest and say that I have not seen a vulgaris come from the keys. They live all over the world and Tampa Bay Saltwater seems to get them on occassion but the keys area may be a bit shallow and warm for them.

First Feeding!!!!

Well the past two days have been the most frustrating days of my life. Suddenly my CPR overflow stopped working and I couldn't figure out why. I ended up building an overflow out of PVC piping but couldn't even get that to work! Long story short an awesome member of sdreefs comes to my house and checks out my tank. I just had to replace the dang bulkhead on the bottom of the overflow box..... for $7..

Anyway fast forward to tonight and my carbon filter is back up and running in the sump, the water looks a lot clearer, and the
octopus is not hiding anymore (while being stone white!!) I was really afraid that I was going to lose Spectre.

So tonight I decide it's a better time than any to initiate first contact!! :snorkel: Maybe he would associate feeling better (in cleaner water) to contact with me. I pull off my velcro-screened lid and stick my arm in there with a piece of shrimp. I wave it around in differing motions to see if he responds to a specific motion. About two minutes in he shoots a tentacle up really fast and I jump, causing him to hastily withdraw! My heart races and I'm thinking to myself "Ok Matt, this thing isn't going to pull your finger in and bite it off." I end up lowering it down closer to his level and he pulls it in with two tentacles! Now he's munching away.

Call me a hippy but I believe all of that energy stuff. I put out the best vibes to that octopus and he knew that I wasn't going to hurt him :rainbow:

The excitement of getting my tank back up combined with this experience makes me SUPER happy!!!!!! Here are some pictures of him and the whole tank! (I know I need more LR. working on it!!)

PB250272-1.jpg

PB260279.jpg

PB260281.jpg

my converted $40 ebay skimmer to a useful HOB carbon filter:
PB260282.jpg

Well, it's 3am. I should get to bed! Happy Thanksgiving :smile:

Everything is breaking down.. the sky is falling, etc etc.

My overflow hasn't been steady lately with the return. It's like a juggling act adjusting both ball valves. My parents are yelling at my constantly for spilling water on the carpet!

So there is a lot of 10 degree fluctuations in temperature, pH and oxygen fluctuating... I really hope this little guy survives. After he lives out his life I'm definitely selling this junk tank and buying a top-of-the-line pre-drilled tank with everything new.

I'm one of the lucky ones who had their tank set up for 3+ months and then everything hits the fan as soon as the octopus arrives.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back