• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Soon to be ceph mother...need advice.

ambervixen

Hatchling
Registered
I am not yet an octopus owner but I hope to be very soon. Therefore I am seeking information from the people more experienced in this forum.

1. What is the best method of purchase? I want to make sure that the animal has not been distressed in any manner.

2. What is the optimal tank environment? I want him to be comfy.

3. Should he be alone in the tank...or will other aquatic creatures benifit him?

4. Which breed of octopus is the best to have as an exotic pet?

5. Are there any surprising behaviors to be expected?

If anyone could answer one or all of these questions I would greatly appreciate it. I want to make sure that I have as much information as possible. Any additional advice is welcome also.

Thanks,

Amber :wink:

1. Octopuses are usually not very easy to come by, so usually however you can get one is the only way. Most people either have to special order them at a fish store, or find them online somewhere. Sometimes people will sell captive bred octopuses online for pretty cheap. If you find captive bred ones this is usually best, but not common.

2. We reccommend a tank of 55 gallons or larger for most commonly kept octopus species. The tank should be securely fastened to prevent escape and have about a 1 inch sand bed and 50-60 lbs of live rock.

3. An octopus will eat anything else in the tank with few exceptions. Serpent sea stars usually will not be eaten and pencil urchins should get along fine with an octopus too. You will probably have to feed live food for his whole life, unless you can get him on frozen.

4. Bimacs are the most common pets. They like colder water that can usually only be maintained with a chiller. If you cannot afford a chiller a warm-water octopus such as A. Aculeatus would be a better choice for you.

5. When you first get him he will probably hide for up to 3 weeks. They can escape, so you want to ensure that the top is tighly fastened with no holes for the octopus to squeeze through. They can move small rocks around and will stir up the sand.

Your tank needs to have been cycled for 3 months before the the addition of any cephalopod. There are links to the ceph care articles at the top of this forum and you should thoroughly read through those before you go any further.

ambervixen;96974 said:
I am not yet an octopus owner but I hope to be very soon. Therefore I am seeking information from the people more experienced in this forum.

1. What is the best method of purchase? I want to make sure that the animal has not been distressed in any manner.

2. What is the optimal tank environment? I want him to be comfy.

3. Should he be alone in the tank...or will other aquatic creatures benifit him?

4. Which breed of octopus is the best to have as an exotic pet?

5. Are there any surprising behaviors to be expected?

If anyone could answer one or all of these questions I would greatly appreciate it. I want to make sure that I have as much information as possible. Any additional advice is welcome also.

Thanks,

Amber :wink:

Check out the Ceph Care Articles. They are located under the large TONMO logo, top left of your screen.

Read, read and read some more. What you don't find an answer to in our very well written Cephcare threads, we will be happy to answer for you! And:welcome:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back