• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Something to play with

apawlows

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Ive had my O. cyanea (Neptune) for about 3 months now. I keep him in a 125 gallon aquarium. I have trained him to open jars and tupperware containers but I cant help but feel that he is bored. I was wondering what people have put in their tanks to let their octopuses play with. I have been thinking about tying something positively buoyant to the rocks to see if it would interest him. I have also thought of getting one of those bubbling chests, Ive heard bubbling is bad for octos, but the air flow would be minimal. Does anyone have any other ideas?

There are a number of things to try. First of all, are you giving him live food? Hunting is one the best forms of enrichment.

Then there are the toys, and not all octopuses like toys. YOu could try making a little structure from a couple of drinking straws, that's been a favorite before. Some will play with the large Lego blocks, other like those rubbery creatures used on artifiical lures for fishing (all hooks and extraneous material removed). Some like a sturdy little bottle, or a pile of shells. But honestly, you playing with him may be the greatest source of entertainment.

You might search on toys because we've discussed this before.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back