Some help... and an apology

Hello Everyone!

First off, I'm sorry I've been AFK for some time. I really have a lot of posts on which I should catch up. I've been out of a few loops lately, and other things have required my attention. As a staff member I should be more dilligent, and I will post more as the weeks progress. Sorry if I've been negligent.

Second, as some of you know, in the past I have volunteered with Humboldt State University's Wildlife Conclave. Well, this year I'm going to the Nationals in New Mexico with my wife. As I actually joined conclave this year (and I'm VERY out of my element, mind you), I was asked to write a paper on squid fisheries and their probable impact on marine ecosystems or competition with species of fish. Will Gilly at TONMOCon showed me that there is a thriving Dosidicus fishery off the coast of Mexico, and we Californians have a growing taste for Loligo so I was wondering if any real work has been done on this subject?

The professor who pointed this out to me made me realize that Wildlife was far more than the "Dry-Land Vertebrate" science I had thought it was. Also, he has more than a passing interest in biological ethology, so the idea of invertebrate intelligence really apppeals to him.

Any leads on where I should look? Thanks in advance for any help.

John

... so there ARE squidderies!!!! Yes!! If you don't know what I'm talking about, Fujisawas Sake and think I'm a frothing, raving loonie (which I am), then you'll find the reason in the Culture section! :wink:

Graeme

Aye, you might be a lunatic :wink:, but yes, there are squidderies as the case may be. As far as "why"... well, coupla hundred million seaside folken want to eat them. Hmm... got a little info on Yahoo! Ceph, but I wonder if any real work is beng done?

lol, I meant the reason for my lunacy is that I posted a thread asking if there was such a thing, and I think most folk said probably not, but weren't sure! That's cool though!

Graeme

Graeme said:
... so there ARE squidderies!!!!

for sure there are some squidderies all around the world! Here in the Azores, they fish Loligo forbesi and they prepare it very well...In Scotland they also fish forbesi don't they?

F.Sake, I do not fully understand at which sort of research you are looking for. Are you searching for quantitative studies on the effect of variation in squid abundance (caused by fishery) on marine systems? maybe this paper might be of interest for you.

Piatkowski U., Pierce G.J. and M. Morais da Cunha 2001. Impact of cephalopods in the food chain and their interaction with the environment and fisheries: an overview. Fisheries Research. 52:5-10

I think it is available on cephbase. Look also at all the work Graham Pierce has done on fisheries and the role of cephs in the food chain.

Since you mention you wanted to look at the probable impacts of squid fisheries on ecosystems, you might also want to look at papers writen by Malcolm Clarke in 1996 called The role of cephalopods in the world's oceans: an introduction. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B. 351 : pp.979-98
also on cephbase I think...

hope this helps,

eups

Ah! I thought they just fished the squid, as opposed to actual aquaculture, but aye, they do catch L. forbesii here! And Eledone cirrhosa too!

Graeme

Graeme said:
Ah! I thought they just fished the squid, as opposed to actual aquaculture, but aye, they do catch L. forbesii here! And Eledone cirrhosa too!

Graeme

Okay maybe some confusion on my part here. Is squidderies a squid fishery or a squid aquaculture?? :bugout:
Didn't knew you guys were fishing Eledone cirrhosa! I suppose it's not you that eats them! Exported directly to Asia maybe??

cheers,

eups

Euprymna said:
Okay maybe some confusion on my part here. Is squidderies a squid fishery or a squid aquaculture?? :bugout:
Didn't knew you guys were fishing Eledone cirrhosa! I suppose it's not you that eats them! Exported directly to Asia maybe??

cheers,

eups

Hm...Hong Kong has some werid foods and stuff and basicly eat all sorts of stuff, but never heard of someone eating that (Eledone cirrhosa) before, besides, I've never seen one on sale (LFS and market)

Euprymna said:

cheers,

eups

I think they mostly just get cought up in the nets by the local fishermen... sorry I'm making it sound like a big operation here! :lol:
i htink they're just picked up along with catches and either sold to aquariums, like st Andrews Aquarium (formally the original Sealife Centre!) or I suppose to local fishmongers... you can definitely buy squid here. I couldn't tell you what kinds; Loligo forbesii seems a bit big, I'd have said L. pealeii but you don't seem to get them in the North Sea! I could be havering out my bum, deadlines are looming very close, and my brain's now about the consistency of a cirrate octopus' mantle!!

Graeme

Euprymna said:
F.Sake, I do not fully understand at which sort of research you are looking for. Are you searching for quantitative studies on the effect of variation in squid abundance (caused by fishery) on marine systems?

Eups,

Actually, I'm looking for market-driven research, like that available by Zen-Ika and various fishing consortia, but your lead does help. I'm trying to present some basic information about squid fisheries - nations involved, popularity of squid as a marketable resource, some conservation issues and concerns, and perhaps annual haul mass. I'm trying to focus the information more for Wildlife crowds than Zoology. The difference? Well, my wife would be a lot better at explaining that than I. Needless to say, in the U.S. Wildlife and Zoology are quite different in their respective foci and executions.

Thanks for your help, and I'll start looking!

John

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back