Some Big Ones!

I didn't pay attention when I came to the thread and started reading from the first post. I thought to look at the date when I saw you mention that things had been slow in the fossil section lately (Hajar has certainly helped it to NOT be slow of late :wink:). The second clue was the part I remebered about this fossil when you went back several years after discovery to collect it :razz:

A couple of pics of the fossil during the preparation process. Some cracks had to be filled and a few parts had to be reconstructed.

Attachments

• conv_295845.jpg
    conv_295845.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 124
  • conv_295846.jpg
    conv_295846.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 122
I am glad you mentioned that parts were reconstructed as I meant to ask if it is typical to mend missing parts. What is used for the "glue" and "fill"?

Most study specimens are just left as found, but those for display are usually "fixed" a little. Some people like to leave the restored parts a slightly different color than the original, just so you can see the difference, Tom obviously likes to match them up. The glue is usually either Super-glue or Epoxy, I have also used Plaster of Paris to attach larger pieces. The missing parts are either filled with plaster or Bondo (the stuff they fill in dented fenders with), then molded or carved to match the existing surface.

I expected you to say cement since it can be tinted and shaped to some extent. Why wouldn't you use bondo as the glue? It would seem (seam :wink:) that it would serve double duty if you are mending it anyway.

Super glue takes up a lot less space than bondo, so the pieces can be put back basically surface to surface where bondo would add thickness. With many cracks the distortion could be very visible. I have glued a few with Carpenters glue before, and even that will cause a little distortion. Bondo makes a real good filler for the larger cracks though. :smile:

This fossil and a few others I donated are now on display at the John Wesley Powell River History Museum in Green River Utah.

A view with a large Mosasaur skeleton

A view of the fossil in front of a very nice mural

Some of the other ammonites I donated (the six on the left)

And a view of the fossil behind a Utahceratops mount just for scale. :sly:

Attachments

• conv_298880.jpg
    conv_298880.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 102
  • conv_298881.jpg
    conv_298881.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 117
  • conv_298882.jpg
    conv_298882.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 94
  • conv_298883.jpg
    conv_298883.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 99
Is the large one the one you left for several years before being able to get a group to get it out?

Never mind, I went back after Terri's comment and confirmed that it is the one I was remembering.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back