Socktopuses

Done! Turned out like crap, though. Now I just need film and to develop it, which should take a month or 2, when this thread is long dead. Made of duct tape, paper, and a Mountain Dew can. Now to make one of a pen cap and toothpicks......(need clever name for both)

Um.... um.

I've received several private thank-you's for locking the "inane" People's Feet thread... that's not really reflected in the poll here, but then again, the answers were kind of leading... :roll:

I think you raise a good point about the description of the forum, which I did indeed write. I'm going to consider making it general cephalopod discussions, and leave the Supporters Forums as the appropriate place for people to banter if they choose. Frankly speaking, I'd rather the public forums be devoted to cephalopod discussions, that's what this community was built on, and when people come back to check in on new posts, it's helpful to have focused discussions happening in the right places... It's all good, part of the natural evolution of an online community... enjoy the ride! :smile:

tonmo said:
Frankly speaking, I'd rather the public forums be devoted to cephalopod discussions, that's what this community was built on, and when people come back to check in on new posts, it's helpful to have focused discussions happening in the right places... It's all good, part of the natural evolution of an online community... enjoy the ride! :smile:
couldn't have said it better myself. :wink:

tonmo said:
Frankly speaking, I'd rather the public forums be devoted to cephalopod discussions, that's what this community was built on, and when people come back to check in on new posts, it's helpful to have focused discussions happening in the right places...

That's a good point.

Here's another socktopus (I think):

Neil

oh, I forgot to say my blessings on the feet thread, well I think that thread only had one path and that was being locked, I think I was the only one who posted against the posting of feet because it was a bit off topic after all this is a ceph forum not a feet forum, I clearly see that steve has a feet fetish and for that he should do a search about "feet fetish message boards" on google, it might serve it's purpose. :P
I intentionally joined this forum becuase I am a ceph enthusiast like most of you but I'm not a feet enthusiast, maybe the feet thread could have been posted in the supporter's thread and it might have never got closed, after all the supporter's thread is for all general banter. :smile:

Just a general thought, and aimed at no-one in particular.

Well, in my humble opinion, there is nothing wrong with off topic humour in a thread as long as it does not spread too far and permeate the whole of the site.

If 'Peoples Feet' appeals, excellent! Post there and have fun. If the thread does not appeal then there is no obligation to post there or even read it. There are enough serious reviews and articles on the site to read without having to get too worried about one stupid topic. Nonetheless, one would not want to see the Ceph Care and Science sections made frivolous.

In other words, why not have a silly thread here? Better that people are silly in one or two amusingly directionless threads than be silly in areas that it would be totally inappropriate.

By the way, I really want to see that tin-can belemnite. Perhaps a pair of tights cut in half could make the shells of two orthoconic nautiloids? :biggrin2: :nautiloi: :nautiloi:

Cool Joel,

I must admit about a year ago I tried making some home-made miniatures out of clay for the 'Insecta' combat game I mentioned in the 'Cephs in Board Games' thread.

Trouble is, the belemnites just came out as looking.......well, obscene, quite frankly.

That idea I condemned to the dustbin.

Phil

Phil, good points, good points... I'm all for having fun and engaging in some off-topic banter in the right environments...

Without getting too into it here publically, there are two ways content can be off-topic:

1) A seed note and all its children are completely off-topic (e.g., People's Feet)

2) A seed note is on topic (about cephs) but a reply (or string of replies) wanders into a discussion about something totally different.

At this point, I have little tolerance for type 1 (perhaps blame it on the arm/back pain), and type 2 I don't care too much about, the community will self-rule in those instances.

However, regardless of type 1 or 2, as Webmaster of TONMO.com, I feel I have an obligation to ensure that people who come here to discuss (and read discussions about) cephs are finding what they're looking for. So, I'm publically musing here whether all type 1 discussions should be relagated to the Supporters Forum, if only to keep such discussions from spreading over a wider area (as seems to be happening... for example, we're seeing lots of cross-references between forums, etc.)...

ANYway... I certainly am rambling... but we'll address it... Really, all I want is to take a little break!! :cry:

I'll be back! (pun ruefully intended)

I can't wait , don't have the time/energy to make a socktopus! but I have beaded an octopus book mark (as the other cephalopodic beadophile can tell you :biggrin2: )

So here t'is (sorry about the quality but I just scanned it in, I don't have a digi camera , I may have mentioned this before :biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2: )

J

Jean: awesome!

Interestingly, my 4yo son came home today with an octopus he made at school... four intersecting popsicle sticks made up the 8 arms, and a fuzzy ball for the head and two googly eyes... The sticks were painted red... ah well... here it is!

Picture32.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back