so anyways...i wanna do these drawings with ceph. ink!!!

You mean...ceph ink drawings? :? hmmm.....you'd probably need a live ceph....and I don't think it would be nice to cause em to ink a lot, so you'd need access to lots of live cephs....not sure how "liquid" their ink is, read about it being possible to scoop it out of a tank with a fine mesh.....Cool idea! :madsci: GO FOR IT!

Cephkid said:
I got an old fashioned ink pen for ya, if you need it...old design- "dip-and-write" type.

might take u up on that!!!

cephkid said:
You mean...ceph ink drawings? hmmm.....you'd probably need a live ceph....and I don't think it would be nice to cause em to ink a lot, so you'd need access to lots of live cephs....not sure how "liquid" their ink is, read about it being possible to scoop it out of a tank with a fine mesh.....Cool idea! GO FOR IT!

i saw this show on tv once where this guy cooked up a soup with cuttlefish ink!!! maybe i could get one of them from a fishmongers?

Sepia...the tone says it all!!!!! have never tried using octo ink though...it is somewhat gluey...
greg

not enough to draw with...would be like doing an image in mucous...ech. You might be able to thin it with alchohol or ether, and use a quill pen, probably a number two point...
Interesting...let us know how it goes.
Welcome to Tonmo too!!!!
greg
p.s. just had a thought on how to obtain ink...call your local stores, and ask if they ever get octopus that have inked their bag...these octos are usually dead, and are just thrown away. Besides the fishy smell, the bag water is usually black...might work out... :?

Phil located a place in the UK that sells drawing ink made with cuttlefish ink. I'll have to hunt that up for you. I was unable to find it in this country, although it was available a few years ago. It's usually sold as an historical ink.

Nancy

If you use the ink "raw" it is rather gritty. We get kids to write their names with it in our squid programme. It comes out brown (Sepia!!!) somewhat transluscent and can be quite faint. Not sure of its durability! I know it's indelible on brand new white t-shirt! (I Told our aquarist not to stand in front of the octopus when we were shifting him :twisted: ). The ink Phil sourced might be your best bet. I think ink needs oak galls or similar to make it stay!!

You could buy a dead squid and dissect out the ink gland. It's not huge but the ink is quite concentrated!

Cheers

J

Here's the place Phil found for me. This art store in the UK sells some very interesting historical inks. You might have a look at them.

The genuine sepia is made by Kremer and is called "Sepia Genuine". It is made of cuttlefish ink and shellac, and is permanent, of course. It costs about 16 pounds, roughly about $25.

http://www.heatoncooper.co.uk/frame3.html

Thanks again, Phil

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back