• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Smallest cuttlefish tank ?

Yeah, they don't look like bandensis to me, either... I'd guess either officinalis or pharonis

Cuttlegirl found that a 55gal was preferable for her bandensis when full grown, but others have said that a single cuttle can do OK in a 30 or 40gal. It's probably better to be too big than too small, though.

monty;134556 said:
Yeah, they don't look like bandensis to me, either... I'd guess either officinalis or pharonis

Cuttlegirl found that a 55gal was preferable for her bandensis when full grown, but others have said that a single cuttle can do OK in a 30 or 40gal. It's probably better to be too big than too small, though.

Usually around 125g, but Sepia officinalis aren't that common in the US. The only type of cuttle that's even relatively common is Sepia bandensis, and there are usually only eggs a few times a year.

It would be beneficial to you and to your future cuttles to start out with a reef tank. Cephalopods require extremely specialized care, and an understanding of water chemistry really is a must.

Maybe you could get a used 30 gallon and set it up as a reef? Or bigger if possible.

A protein skimmer is a filtration device used to removed dissolved organics from the water. It removes the "scum".

A sump is another tank that is plumbed into the display tank, usually underneath, to add stability to the main tank by increasing total water volume. Dilution is the solution to pollution.

Macroalgaes are just certain types of marine plants.

Sepia officinalis grow to 18", or about 45 cm in mantle length. That in consideration, they need a very large tank. Read the cuttlefish care articles for more information, I'm pretty sure they're covered in there.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back