• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

small octo

mr.vandehy

Hatchling
Registered
someone told me of an octopus small enough to live in a 10 gallon. have you heard of these what are they called? up to 29 gallon is fine. please answer fast. thanks a billon for any and all responses

tjohnson

Wonderpus
Registered
pygmys could but u want a 30g for them, due to waste, normally. I think there called balis? not sure. But they come from the wild so you might find yourself in a sistuation where your octi dies after a few weeks becuse tyhe animal is already an adult. I believe there life span is only 6 month from hatch to death anyways.

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
THere are several pygmies that can be kept in a 10-15 g system, but most are fairly secretive and nocturnal. We often keep O. bocki and O. wolfi (which is the more difficult of the two). Both only live a few months as adults and probably have generation time of less than a year. O. mercatoris is a bit larger, but can surive in a well cycled 10 g. They are fairly easy to get from Florida gulf coast suppliers in the spring when they breed. We also keep Hapalochlaena lunulata and other small blue-ring species in small systems, but again they only live as adults for a month or two and, of course, they are dangerous.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I assume these are kept in flow-through systems and not in individual tanks with their own filtration - it seems that the tank can be smaller with flow through. Interesting collection of octos you're keeping.

As I recall, you're quite good at photography, too. Maybe you could post a pic or two someday.

Nancy

Latest Forum Posts