[Octopus]: Slinky - New addition! Macropus ❤️

Bareocto

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
After months of research & trying to get hold of an octopus, today it finally arrived!

By special request I got a Macropus. I know there are 12 different variants so I’m not 100% sure which one this could be. It’s still quite small with a mantle of 3cm

I’m completely mesmerised by this animal. What a beautiful creature.

Last edited by a moderator:
The white and green around the eyes is very interesting! In O. brieareus, that kind of coloration is found on juveniles but they are white all over. I did note that my two suspected macrocopuses (potentially
Callistoctopus aspilosomatis) had a fluorescent green speckeled skin layer like O. briareus and could be mistaken for that species if it chose a white display. Here is Puddles journal for comparison

The white and green around the eyes is very interesting! In O. brieareus, that kind of coloration is found on juveniles but they are white all over. I did note that my two suspected macrocopuses (potentially
Callistoctopus aspilosomatis) had a fluorescent green speckeled skin layer like O. briareus and could be mistaken for that species if it chose a white display. Here is Puddles' journal for comparison

Please tell me more! You have a really interesting description

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you DWhatley for the links to your journals and the info you provided. I’ve studied mine closely for comparison and I think mine could be an O. Briareus as it has the fluro green layer but I guess time will tell.

For the last two days I’ve been incredibly worried as I’ve not seen a peep out of him/her but I did see an empty hermit crab shell so I thought she must be ok..

I turn the lights off at 9pm now as I’m sure she’s nocturnal whilst I wait for my red led lights. This evening whilst in bed & worrying about ‘Slinky’ I thought I’d get up & just watch the tank. To my absolute delight I saw her emerge from the rocks slowly and move around the tank! I was absolutely over the moon! I wanted to wake my wife! Slinky is still very shy and I know she can see me because she stays in one spot and just looks at me.. I put in some thawed mysis and she soon jumped on those. I’m going to get some more hermits & some emerald crabs for her tomorrow. It’s expensive food in the UK as the hermits and other crabs are all meant for display and not food! I don’t care though. I’m completely besotted with this little animal and will do anything to give her a complete life.

I am 99% sure it is not O. briareus and more likely one of the animals from the Philippines that also has that green speckled layer. Look again at the images of Beldar.

Definitely try placing a small piece of thawed table shrimp on a stick and see if you can get her to accept it. It is likely you will have to do this numerous times but eventually, Slinky should try it and accept the shrimp as food. It is more fun and way less expensive to feed this way.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back