• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Slightly worried...

It's probably not a big deal, but im just concerned a bit if its normal. The octopus I recieved 2 days ago from Toms Caribbean is still not eating. It hasen't eaten since it arrived. The first day it came I put in 3 small crabs..about 2 cm. long in the tank, but they havent disappeared yet. I removed them because alls they did was bother the octopus. Since they didn't satisfy it, I bought raw shrimp...a whole pound of it. After trying to give it to it once I got home, it pushed the shrimps away. I even peeled the shrimp, but still no luck. I also cut off peices so its extra small bits, but it wont eat it. Their's times when it'll sucker one of its arms on the shrimp, but it wont eat it...just hang on to it for 15 minutes. I would do what some of you guys do and just leave food in their so it can eat when it's ready but I can't risk letting the ammonia/nitrites kick in cuz I just got it stabled back to perfection.

Should I take a risk and leave a peice of shrimp in there for a few hours or would that be a bad idea? What food should I try next? The fact that its not accepting shrimp nor crabs is odd enough. It could be picky of course, but im trying to think of other foods I can try. Right now, my local seafood market only has lobster and crayfish live. Lobster wouldn't be an option now because it's too big. Let me know what you guys think if anyone has suggestions or advice. The water quality is perfect and the octopus hasen't seemed stressed at all...it just won't eat.

Is he hiding? I would get some local hermitcrabs, put in maybe 3 and leave him alone. He maybe stressed. Concerns me if he's not hiding, but sitting out in the open.

Carol

corw314;77603 said:
Is he hiding? I would get some local hermitcrabs, put in maybe 3 and leave him alone. He maybe stressed. Concerns me if he's not hiding, but sitting out in the open.

Carol

Oh, he's hiding most of the time. Usually 9/10 of the dayhe's hiding. Iv only seen him fully out in the open once but it was for a a short 30 minutes. It was neat to see, but ya...i'd be even more worried if he were out in the open not accepting food cuz that would definately point to water quality, but he's under a rock.

I seriously want to get hermit crabs as the next option because Tom feeds his octopuses hermits himself. Im just having a hard time getting them from the beach. I should try inlets mabye. Would you know a definate place or area by the shore were their easy to find?

Ok, im satisfied for sure now. I left a peice of shrimp right in front of its den and after leaving it alone for an hour and a half, it finally has it and is currently eating it. Im still going to look for hermit crabs though of course and buy a variety to see what else it likes. Thank god nothings wrong with it.

Dog beach! Toward the end before the weeds. I must have found about 20 at hightide no less...You just have to watch for the moving shells as sometimes they are hard to see. Glad to know he ate!

Oh, ok thanX. I know were that beach is. Today I found one of the crabs eaten b/c its carcass was everywhere. So I dropped in another small crab and as soon as it hit the bottom, the octopus snatched it up immediately. Im gonna have to get those hermits on the weekend.

Didn't feel like making this into another thread cuz it would take up space....but just wanted to say that iv released my octopus. Instead of keeping it for a month, I cut it short to 1 week just cuz I have so much to do in the next coming 2 weeks...one of them, i'll be away for a whole week. I also cant keep spending cash on it cuz I have more important things to get that I need. If anything, I wouldn't have wanted it to die in my own aquarium...im better than that.

Im definately missing it already because it just started getting very social and out in the last few days. As a first octopus, its been excellent and very interesting to have around. I just wish it got released happy...instead, it seemed very stressed and sad after releasing it. I might be getting another one next summer. I'll be having a long 75 gallon.

Let me just clarify that I didn't release the octopus in the ocean. I released it from my tank and gave it to Jenkinson's were they will figure out what they are going to do with it. I noticed the poster above has a deleted message and I didn't want to offend anyone. It's in good hands.

Armstrong;77976 said:
Let me just clarify that I didn't release the octopus in the ocean. I released it from my tank and gave it to Jenkinson's were they will figure out what they are going to do with it. I noticed the poster above has a deleted message and I didn't want to offend anyone. It's in good hands.
i deleted it. i posted in the wrong forum.

chris

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back