• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sick :[

I don't know how it happened but the nitrates in my 50g jumped up pretty fast. This morning it read about 40 and my ghost shrimp were picking his tentacle apart. :\ I did two 30% water changes and brought it down to a little below 20.

This is what he looks like now :[ Still breathing, slow and heavy, but I don't think he'll make it... I just noticed that one of his tentacles is cleanly cut off. I don't know if a crab did this or if the ghost shrimp ate it.

Attachments

• conv_303113.jpg
    conv_303113.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 82
  • conv_303114.jpg
    conv_303114.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 91
Ahh...poor little guy...keeping fingers crossed.....Did you check ammonia? I think nitrates can be tolereated to a certain degree...

Nitrates will not spike as quickly as ammonia or nitrite (which are much more toxic in lower dosages). I would guess that you had an ammonia spike in the past week or two, which led to a nitrite spike, and finally the increased nitrate levels. A nitrate value of 40 is not high enough to cause the conditions you are seeing so quickly. I would definitely purchase an ammonia and nitrite test kit when you can.

As long as water quality is kept pristine, the animal should recover. Clean water will help to alleviate any added stress put on and possibly limit any bacterial infection from the loss of its arm.

Good luck!

Greg

Even if you can get the ammonia down I still wouldn't be too optimistic: if animals in the tank have already started to dismember him there's a lot to recover from aside from any respiratory damage he might have from the ammonia.

Nitrates are usually fine up to 30. After that things will start getting sick or die. Hopefully he pulls through. I would take out anything that is eating/bothering him as it will just add to the stress and not help with recovery.

RIP Mimzy. We barely knew ye. Time of death: 2pm. :[

I'm taking a break from cephs for awhile.. I need more expensive equipment and proper test kits...

RIP Mimzy :angelpus:

Sorry she passed away.

Before you get another octopus, make sure that you fully cycle the tank (at least 3 months) and only then get an octopus.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back