• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

should I get a cuttlefish?

heh, mike just got to that before i did!

So, childrens play sand will be ideal if you can find it in an early learning centre or US equivelent

but my main point that i was going to comment on was the feeding of the cuttle, as Mike says.. they wont accept dead food until the are about 50mm or bigger... the best food for small cuttles is small live shrimp like crangon, palemon or amphipods like gammarus... not easy at all to get hold of in the LFS trade... but self collecting or getting in touch with people who supply foods to the public aquariums may be able to help there

It turns out that we have a bag of play sand that looks like what you described to me :biggrin2: :x
It doesn't really describe what it is (it doesn't say it's silica free or it has silica in it) but we got it from wal-mart to fill in our new stone patio (ohh fancy! lol) The grain size is about that of a pin head, it's white and it's rough. It says it's used for gardening and safe play sand but that's about it. Safe?

I'm going to call different places tomarrow to see if they have any silver sand (I doubt that anyone'l be open today, except me! :x I work at a frozen lemonade stand at the beach called "Del's")
I was also planning to go down to collect some shrimp. I visited another place yesterday and they had a lot of shrimp also, but some people were saying that there was some pollution problems with the water so I decided against that spot.
Thanks for putting up with all of my questions!

Hi all,
I just visited my LFS and the only "good" sand I could find was #5 silica sand but it say's that it's made for fresh water aquarias. I was planning on adding some finer crushed coral just to make sure that the pH stays up. I have a feeling that the sand is a little too large for a smaller cuttle, so any suggestions?

Well, lil cuttles don't really need to bury themselves so I don't see why such a big fuss over it. They do it only to hide from predators, but I gotta admit they look pretty cute when buried. :biggrin2:
So hows things coming along Mike?

Sorry to say that I won't be able to get a cuttle... :cry:
The lab is kinda strict about these things-they're worried that it will get too big (which it will) and I'll have to release it, which is the problem. They don't want me to release it into the bay.
I might be able to find someone who could take better care of it (Woods Hole for example, or maybe even my zoo who specializes in aquariums) in the future, but I don't want to get into trouble with the feds :goofysca:
I visited my LFS and they had some sand (they also had a bag of live sand for $20, is this safe, as in good quality?)
I've been reading up alot on how to take care of octo's at home (along with keeping a salt water aquarium fish...) I just helped clean my 40 gal fresh water aquarium and boy does it look better! It's been sitting around for a couple of months without any filtration or aeration with three fish in it (I'm absolutely amazed that they survived). getting to my question, hehe, the tank has never been treated, is it safe if I've been using tap water (i have copper pipes :? ) for when I set up a future aquarium but then convert to RO or do I have to go with the RO from day one? there is salt for tap water and then for RO isin't there?
About my aquaria's at the lab:
My mantis has just molted :smile:
My pipe fish is still alive 8)
My sea robin is getting kinda big fast so he's going to have to move...
I caught and put in about 3 dozen shrimp from my docks and put them in the tank (they're cool)
My sea bass and cunner are getting too large so I'll have to release them (hmm, free tanks...)
I'll hopefully have some pics soon (If you want to see them...)
All in all, everythings fine (I sent in my Eagle scout application this weekend 8) )
Mike

I'm hoping so :biggrin2: I'm campaigning to get one for home, but I'll probably start off with something easier like clowns or damsels. Besides, my parents want to have something else if we're going to spend that much money! :roll:
I'll try to convince my suprvisor to get a cuttle though, I'm not giving up hope! Not yet at least... :?

I sure hope so! :biggrin2: 8) It was them who suggested the octo in the first place :? though I think it was more jokingly than anything, but I think I mentioned that they had one a while back? It was a Vulgaris so it escaped and, well, died :shock:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back