Shiva

::cough::

Attachments

• conv_294034.jpg
    conv_294034.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 98
Shiva's mantle size

Cuttlechris,
What length would you guestimate for Shiva's mantle (it helps to lay a ruler on the tank of measuring something in the tank that is an equivalent size, guessing can be sooo wrong when they are at this size and when you are looking through glass)? I won't see mine until Tuesday :hmm: so I am vicariously enjoying the new one through your new pictures :roll:

Tom told me 1.5". I feel that this is pretty accurate. From between the eyes to the back of mantle it's ~1.5". I can assure you it will be younger than you expect. I was pretty anxious when i ordered Shiva and thought it was pretty old (~4-5 months) from what i've seen of Kalyso's progress. I feel that it's spread across a standard sized 75 gal. (4'L) is directly proportional to it's lifespan. In that it's tentacle to tentacle spread reaches across half the tank it's approximately six months old. Of course, this is taken with a swig of saltwater.

Dime- I really enjoy interacting with an octo. It's something that makes your day. I think you'll find it rewarding.
27 - The shotglass had a Fiddler in it. The rock was just a smoothed out freshwater rock. Shiva was pretty mad at me today though . I went camping in OK overnight and he inked as i was trying to feed him. It was a pretty small cloud but i'm worried since it hasn't occured before. I'm fresh out of carbon. Anyone care to share on inking experiences?

It should not be a problem. Do change out your carbon tomorrow though. Are your running a skimmer?

I keep a brine shrimp net or other fine net and a turkey baster near each tank to remove what I can but sometimes the ink is so thin the effort is wasted. The hummelinckis would ink when they were POed as well. Not much and not often and Neal kind of wonders if they build up a surplus that makes them expel it under circumstances that would normally not cause the reaction. It is just a theory though with nothing more than observation guessing.

No. I'm not running a skimmer. Maybe i should start doing that haha. IDK why i didn't think of it either. I've read it so many places before that skimmers are good ink removers. Yowza, i'm getting to be a pretty dirty newb... I'll do a little water change and skim. The only reason i have yet to run it is because my sump as i designed it (just getting into the hobby) has no bubble trap. My ASM needs new O rings so i get nasty micro bubbles. Oh well. I guess my tank will get more O2.

If you end up needing or wanting to reduce the bubble and the skimmer has an outlet tube (vs a spout type design) you can simply put a sponge around the tube to take care of most of it. Alternately, I us one of the all plastic TOM's nets with a piece of filter material for my Skilter overflow on one tank. Figuring out how to attach the net can be a challange but these are very inexpensive, soft, fine and durable all plastic nets and come in 3 sizes. The handle comes collapsed and is not designed to be uncollapsed once you straighten it so if you want it to swivel, don't pop it straight (it can be undone but it is a chore).

pic update

Attachments

• conv_294061.jpg
    conv_294061.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 111
  • conv_294062.jpg
    conv_294062.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 111
  • conv_294063.jpg
    conv_294063.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 76
  • conv_294064.jpg
    conv_294064.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 101
It could be camera and coloration but it looks like she has grown since last week! SueNami has yet to leave her protected area for anything other than food but it has only been 4 days and she is eating well.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back