Shevia - O.hummelincki

I am really excited for you. Your first octo is not something you will soon forget. Its so funny I looked and looked and looked for an octo but only found the kinds I couldnt keep lol. Now they are EVERYWHERE lol.

Thank you! We started talking about getting one last year. Then about July we started looking but couldn't find any! So we went for seahorses instead! Then about a month ago started looking again and yes, now they are everywhere!!! I was told by Joe (Seascape) that they are found mostly during the winter!!! So excited we got one!
He came out for a little again while I was on the phone in the kitchen! I can't wait for tonigh when we try and feed him Krill! Let's see how he does!!!!

Nevermind. He didn't get the crab! I thought he did since the shell was with him under the rock, but I pulled it out, and it's still in there! What if he won't touch the thawed Krill. Then what should we try?

Krill is usally accepted fairly well, but if that doesn't work any variety of sea food will do as long as it has not been cooked. So clam, shrimp, silver sides, et cetra.

Thanks! Hopefully he will eat the Krill. Last night, my fiance put a piece in there and he wouldn't go near it, so he took it out!

Here is a pic (hopefully you can see it) of his one arm that I said earlier looks deformed?

Attachments

• conv_297499.jpg
    conv_297499.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 90
Here's a few more of his little outing today!

Attachments

• conv_297500.jpg
    conv_297500.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 87
  • conv_297501.jpg
    conv_297501.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 101
  • conv_297502.jpg
    conv_297502.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 103
  • conv_297503.jpg
    conv_297503.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 114
I gave it to him with chopsticks! He grabbed onto the chopsticks, but left the food alone...

Here is a quick video I just took of him before I scared him!

LOL, the "deformed" arm with the "tail" is an injury and the tail is the new part of the arm growing back. It starts out looking like a string and then gets longer and wider. The first time I saw this, I thought the "string" was dead flesh and wondered if I should cut it off! I have kept a few others since then :biggrin2: and you can expect to see roughly and inch a month of growth. This one is not a youngster and the timing is arbitrary but you should have fun watching it grow both longer and wider. Ultimately you will have a hard time seeing which arm it was.

The modified male arm is going to be the third arm on the right (clockwise as the eyes are positioned at 2:00 and 10:00). Sometimes it will be quite obvious it is curled but not 100% of the time. If this is the damaged arm, it is harder to determine as they will protect the new growth similarly.

For more hummelincki pictures and journals, visit Forums->Journals and Photos->List of our octopuses 20xx. The species and animal name are listed chronologicaly for each year. Lists from 2008 to 2010 include a link back to the journals on the species and name.

And it will have no suckers? All arms have suckers!

Nevermind. The tip has no suckers. I can't tell at the moment, but I will keep an eye out!

Even the "string" as it turns out will have tiny suckers (thankfully, I did not attempt a second amputation :goofysca:). It is only the very tip that will not have suckers on the ligula (the specialized tip) but on hummelincki it is very tiny and I never identified it on either of the males I kept. There is also a channel down the arm but it too is very hard to see (in spite of what Roy and Chrissy say :biggrin2:).

Lol.... I really can't tell, so as of now, I am sticking with a male. Well, he has been out in about every time I come near the tank! I tried feeding krill and he is not interested! So, my fiance is stopping by the LFS and getting some porcelin crabs and maybe ghost shrimp. Hopefully he will eat that! He keeps going aftet the hermit crabs, but apparently unsuccessful at getting them out! He did come out and get (I think) some mysis that we put in for the suncoral! So, hopefully, he has gotten a little to eat! We haven't yet come up with a good name! Any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back