Shells in Nepal?

Have you ever seen the cretaceous ammonite Mammites :shock:

I wonder if I should change the morphology article... nah, tubercles and nodes appear more intellectual :cool2:

By the way Spartacus, its that time of year again, Llama Fest 2005

Attachments

• conv_288135.jpg
    conv_288135.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 114
Chrono, I love llamas ! :heart:
Have you not seen Spartacus the world's most handsome llama ?

Thanks for the reminder young Kevin, one day maybe !!
Mammites indeed yes, extremely nipplitious.

On the Normandy trip I found a partial Peltoceratoides also sporting nips :oops: similarly peculiar as the Jurassic homonid ear I found here on the premises but that's to be a separate post altogether :twisted:

Keef

Attachments

• conv_288139.jpg
    conv_288139.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 108
chrono_war01 said:

yes indeed young Chrono ! :shock:
a fossilized Jurassic (Toarcien) hominid (excuse previous duff spelling) ear'ole. Can't see what else it could be & I'm not often wrong :biggrin2:
Will snap & post as soon as just like normal so could take a while !

Keef

spartacus said:
:shock:
a fossilized Jurassic (Toarcien) hominid (excuse previous duff spelling) ear'ole. :

Keef,

Maybe you have discovered the grave of 'amusing comedian' George 'Jurassic' Burns.

Oh and here's A Short History of Llamas along with a few of their fossils.

Seems these chaps are at least 9m years old, as a genus that is, not individually. And I quote (from PaleoDirect):

Dating back to the Miocene Period 9 million years ago, North American lamine camelids exist as several species all of the genus Hemiauchenia. Some of these species were as tall as a modern camel with other species being about the size of a modern llama. All were of a lighter build than modern comparisons. In the Early Pleistocene, the genus Paleolama first appears in Florida. Only one species is attributed to this genus and is identified as Paleolama mirifica. This animal had shorter, stocky limbs and more closely represented the llamas that survived the extinction of their North American cousins and live today in South America. In North America, all members of the Camelidae family thrived up to the end of the Pleistocene. Today, they are survived only by species living in the high plains of South America and in parts of Paraguay.

You learn something everyday.

Phil

Phil, once again your search engine technique is a TVR Cerbera to my 2CV ! :cool2: & I thank you for the top info.

Maybe after a few years back breaking toil I will have a Spartacus of my own to love, hug & call George !

Keef

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back