Shell Layering - Why?

Most molluscs have two calcareous shell layers, the outer prismatic layer and inner nacreous layer. What I was wondering is if there are any theories as to why this might be? I have a Cretaceous ammonite fossil that still has some of the nacreous layer intact, and I was wondering if there might be any evolutionary advantage to having calcium crystals in the shell in two distinct layers (one that gives us that oh-so-pretty Mother of Pearl of which we are so fond).

Thoughts?

A smooth inner "nacreous" layer for the mantle to be next to, and the outer "prismatic" layer to face the elements and/or corrosive sea water.

I read somewhere that fossil spirulids have 3 layers, another smooth layer outside because the shell is internal, will have to look this up.:cool2:

Architeuthoceras;85740 said:
I read somewhere that fossil spirulids have 3 layers, another smooth layer outside because the shell is internal, will have to look this up.:cool2:

Oops!:oops:

Looks like what I remember isnt what I remember at all. An orthocone formerly referred to Bactritida (?Ammonoidea) is referred to Spirulida (Coleoidea) because of the lack of a nacreous layer. Seems the Spirulida and this Orthocone have 2 prismatic layers.

Doguzhaeva, L., Mapes, R., and Mutvei, H., 1999, A Late Carboniferous Spirulid Coleoid from the Southern Mid-Continent (USA) Shell Wall Ultrastructure and Evolutionary Implications, in: Advancing Research on Living and Fossil Cephalopods, edited by Oloriz and Rodriguez-Tovar. Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back