Shedd Visit

Hehe...yes, you might say I'm a Cubs fan... :oops: ...although, by the standards of most Cubs fans, I'm probably not. Never sat in the bleachers, never been actually intoxicated at the park, and only picked up a real taste for baseball several years ago (as opposed to being born with Cubbie-blue blood.) Still.

"British Healthcare System..." Cool! Sounds like it will be an interesting lecture. I think it's pretty safe to say that most of us (Americans) get a lot of hearsay and not much fact about that subject. Shame we can't all hear it... Work us Tonmo geeks in there somehow! :wink: :bonk:

rusty

There was talk today of it being video-ed, my lecture, (not the baseball game!), :shock: so I could sell it to Americans!!!

I will see what I can do about working Tonmo-ettes in, I failed a similar challenge from Phil, who wanted me to put an obscure reference in my PhD, I just couldn't seem to find the right niche! And I'm loathe to say what it was, I wonder if Phil remembers....

Never sat in the bleachers

What's a bleacher?

Moog

Well, I've been kinda wondering what a kipper is, myself! Actually, I do know, but I love the little quirks of english you get on either side of the Atlantic. Even within the US itself you get fascinating variations. Did you know that here, drinks such as Coca-Cola are alternately known as soft drinks, soda and pop? Better yet, in some places, they're ALL known as "Coke." You order a Coke, and get asked "what kind?"

Bleachers are stadium seats that are benches instead of individual seats. They can be metallic or wooden, though I think wooden is the "classic" format. I'm not sure where the name "bleacher" came from...I think I'd heard a theory that a simple bench of this sort was once used to stretch out items for bleaching in the sun. At Wrigley, they're the "cheap seats" way out in the outfield (where most home run balls end up.) The fans there seem to compensate for the poor view by making the entire section a rowdy, party atmosphere, full of wild Cubs enthusiasm. Many of them attend nearly every game. The Cubs' "Bleacher Bums," as they have come to be known, are legendary. Some view them as a prime example of the true positive spirit of baseball, others think they're rather unpleasant, drunken and boorish, but for better or for worse, they're a Cubs fixture.

rusty
rusty

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back