Shedd aquarium's terrible octo tanks...

Guess I will just have to take your pity then...it is very easy for people who have no experience in exhibiting animals to the public to decry an animals tank...yes, I see the anemone...yes the gpo tank is small...did you ask them if it was on a temporary display, and would be moved?
Working for zoos and museums, I get this attitude from animal fanciers often...one of my favorites was a herper who flipped out and started swearing because a rattlesnake cage didn't have a water dish...I let him go on and on...then pointed to the sign above the cage that stated:"animal not on display"
Those in glass houses...etc.

The exhibit looked pretty permanent to me. (Has a sign on octopuses, and everythin) Both tanks had stinging cnidarians-larger than I've seen before. The ones in the GPO tank (there were two) were atleast dinner-plates sized, and the ones in the O.bimaculoides tank were about 8-10" diameter. (The bimac tank couldn't have been more than 26 gallons...)

Exactly my point..."looked permanent to ME"
The public doesn't understand how the animals are structured behind the scenes...quite often, there are more animals off display than on...some are rotated, very few remain on display for a length of time...

The 26 gal tank might also be part of a larger system, there might be 20,000 gallons behind that tank?

Interesting to see a boxer shrimp in there...

Yeah...used to get yelled at all of the time about keeping tangs in a 15 gallon size setup by fish fanciers...without them realizing that they were in it for less than a day, and it was part of a 3,000 gallon linked setup...ah well...
You have to wonder how long that little shrimp was around...munch, munch...

cthulhu77 said:
Guess I will just have to take your pity then...it is very easy for people who have no experience in exhibiting animals to the public to decry an animals tank...yes, I see the anemone...yes the gpo tank is small...did you ask them if it was on a temporary display, and would be moved?
Working for zoos and museums, I get this attitude from animal fanciers often...one of my favorites was a herper who flipped out and started swearing because a rattlesnake cage didn't have a water dish...I let him go on and on...then pointed to the sign above the cage that stated:"animal not on display"
Those in glass houses...etc.

Too true...but you have to be very very aware of what the public are going to think. You don't want them going home thinking it's OK to keep Octis with anemones or in a too small tank.......no matter what's happening behind the scenes, they can't see that. Otherwise you need to be sure there is interp about the tanks and holding systems.

From one who works in the industry!!!!!!

J

Good point...I am forever harping and harping at the executive staff to let the public see more of the "gritty" details...unfortunately, here at least, they seem to have some Disneyfied brain material, and want everything slick and neat...
Personally, I think it makes the treatment of the public somewhat like acting like they are all little children...not all that wonderful...

cthulhu77 said:
Good point...I am forever harping and harping at the executive staff to let the public see more of the "gritty" details...unfortunately, here at least, they seem to have some Disneyfied brain material, and want everything slick and neat...
Personally, I think it makes the treatment of the public somewhat like acting like they are all little children...not all that wonderful...

Ours are more sensible!!! We do a behind the scenes tour! Plus if stuff needs done (cleaning etc) during public hours it will get done then. we see it as a point of interest and an interp tool!

Where do you work?

J

Have had my own business for a number of years now (uh, I am getting old) doing zoological design for places all over the map...mostly illustration stuff, some research bits...very fun, actually...just long hours.
The Phoenix Zoo is the current thorn in my side...the whole place is so divided on which way they are going that it is hard to work in designs there...They did have a master plan drawn out, but they veer away from it all the time...frustrating.
Glad to hear you all down south are a little wiser...hopefully, these yahoos up here will take a page from your experience and change their formats...not holding my breath though. :lol:

cthulhu77 said:
Glad to hear you all down south are a little wiser...hopefully, these yahoos up here will take a page from your experience and change their formats...not holding my breath though. :lol:

Yes well we're owned by a university so education is a BIG thing! ANYTHING (within reason!) which will give folks some info we'll look at trying!

J

hmmm, everything up here is private enterprise, or city owned...if I have to get up and argue about funding in front of another committee, I am going to scream.
Dr SOS seems to have a worse time of it though...we should all send him some positive energy!
greg

cthulhu77 said:
Dr SOS seems to have a worse time of it though...we should all send him some positive energy!
greg
true, but we're not trying to keep a giant squid alive nor do we inflict ND on all and sundry!!!!!! :lol:

Actual funding to do what want is always an issue tho'....just as wll we're inventive!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back