SEX!

Okay, now that I got your attention... :wink:

Are there any across-the-board sexual selection behaviours in octos? Do females tend to do the choosing, or are males favored to choose? Are there any pheromones involved or is it just visual display?

John

You certainly did! I wonder how many google spiders will pick up on this one?

John, there are a couple of papers that report pheromones in Sepia; I haven't them handy enough to just transcribe details here, but will shortly.
O

Mine too, although I'd just as eagerly dive into one of John's threads if it happened to be titled 'CROCHET!' It would be super if I actually knew anything useful with which to fill up the rest of this post, but I don't.

Octopus Sex

Papers on sexual selection in octopus are few and the coverage is spotty. We published a study on mating in Hapalochlaena lunulata a few years back in Animal Behaviour. We've also looked at Octopus bocki, but could find no evidence for pheromones or even sex recognition until contact and insertion were achieved. Crissy Huffard's work on Octopus aculeatus reveals probably some of the most complex sexual behavior yet described in an octopus with mate guarding, satellite males, etc. Still, octpus do not seem to be nearly as complex in their sexual behavior as cuttles and some squid.

Roy

Hello

Cannot instantly offer much details about pheromones here, but some time ago I read a nice paper about female choice of males in Sepia officinalis...

Although usually males initate mating by forcing the lady into the head-to-head-position (Hanlon et al., Behavioural aspects of sperm competition in cuttlefish, Sepia officinalis. Mar. Biol., 134: 719-728), a female choice of males was described by Jean G. Boal (1997, Behaviour: 134, 975-988). Females preferred males that (1) mated recently and (2) showed fewer zebra-display. Male-male interactions and male dominance didn't affect the ladie's choices. Boal suggests a female preference based on chemical (olfactory) cues - visual signals are more agonistic signals... and Boal even observed a female that faced a male and spread her arms - she seduced him :biggrin2:

I have dozens of papers about cuttlefish reproduction but none about octo-love ... :-/

I'm sorry,
TK

P.S.:
BTW, Steve, you were on German television on sunday evening preparing a male Architheuthis for Stralsund Meeresmusuem with a German colleague...
:squidaut:

Steve O'Shea said:
:oops: haven't seen that one.

The German guy was Volker Miske and both of you were preparing a specimen that was caught in August 2003 (they said: male, 6 m length, 50 kg weight)... It should be on display in the Marine Museum in Stralsund since mid-January... It's the only large squid in Germany and I guess I'll have to go there soon to say :welcome: :biggrin2:

Cheers, TK

Tigerkatze_82 said:
The German guy was Volker Miske and both of you were preparing a specimen that was caught in August 2003 (they said: male, 6 m length, 50 kg weight)... It should be on display in the Marine Museum in Stralsund since mid-January... It's the only large squid in Germany and I guess I'll have to go there soon to say :welcome: :biggrin2:

Cheers, TK

I remember doing the doco - took them out on the boat, tried some squidding, played around with a big, dead squid, did this and that, but haven't seen the final product. Another one was completed last week; should be here today, but I don't know when that will air, or where (a NZ doco); and another probably more news-like piece should have aired on Ausi telly a month-or-so back, but I haven't that one either. Last year was rather busy.

There are the two GS that were sent to Gunther von Hagens last year that should be plastinated by years end, on display in ?Heidleberg, so there are at least 3 specimens in Germany at present, and one in Paris (sent ~ 5 or 6 years ago, still in its shipping tank as they haven't gotten around to putting it on display/building a tank). To you Paris is a stones throw away; to me it's 24hrs in planes.

Steve O'Shea said:
and one in Paris (sent ~ 5 or 6 years ago, still in its shipping tank as they haven't gotten around to putting it on display/building a tank).

... lazy French people... no reedeming features whatsoever...
Typical :lol:

TPOTH

TPOTH said:
... lazy French people... no reedeming features whatsoever...
Typical :lol:

TPOTH

Untrue! I knew a French guy in my freshman year who was fantastic at conserving water and soap, and very handy for clearing out the common room. :heee:

um... said:
Untrue! I knew a French guy in my freshman year who was fantastic at conserving water and soap, and very handy for clearing out the common room. :heee:

Exception that proves the rule? :smile:
I wouldn't want to meet a French person :goofysca:
Still i wonder, did you mean:
a) it's great that he was saving on soap so we could use said soap to clean the common room
b) said French slob was very good at cleaning the common room
c) you used a dirty Frenchman (is there any other kind?) to clean the room
d) all of the above?

*French passport self-destructing*
Oh well... guess I'm stuck here now... :biggrin2:

TPOTH

TPOTH said:
Exception that proves the rule? :smile:
I wouldn't want to meet a French person :goofysca:
Still i wonder, did you mean:
a) it's great that he was saving on soap so we could use said soap to clean the common room
b) said French slob was very good at cleaning the common room
c) you used a dirty Frenchman (is there any other kind?) to clean the room
d) all of the above?

*French passport self-destructing*
Oh well... guess I'm stuck here now... :biggrin2:

TPOTH
:lol:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back