Several LARGE octopus off of La Jolla, CA

Jabba954

GPO
Registered
Hey all - was diving for the first time off of La Jolla shores this past weekend (usually dive up north in Monterey/Carmel area), and along the canyon, at about 75', we encountered 3 very large octopus living within 5-10' of each other. The only one that we could coax out of its hole had a mantle of around 8-10" and arms of ~3'. Any idea of the species based on the description? Seems much too large for bimac.

Coloration was mottled brown, and no eye spot.

Oh, it was also fast/strong enough to unscrew the cover of my buddy's dive light when we first looked into the hole to see what was there.

I remembered that one of the bimacs (bimaculatus) gets a lot larger then the one we commonly keep so I looked it up in Cephalopods A Wold Guide (Mark Norman) and it does say that they can have mantles up to 20 cm (~8") and arms up to 80 cm (~31.5").

Sure looks like him - and digging up google images of the bimaculatus turns up a ton of pics from La Jolla Shores.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back