• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Seven + - Unidentified - Newbie with Octopus meant for sushi

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
Awesome videos! Haggs, Hatch-ko is gorgeous!

I think I figured out the cause of my nitrate spike and crappy water and Seven not eating for almost a week. I found my turbo snail shell today, and it was empty- I assume Seven ate it. It had leftover crap inside and stank like crazy when I removed it. That was my last turbo snail. I'm glad Seven got to "hunt" it, but can't he do it while I'm around? :nyah: I did a major water change again, and hopefully things go back to normal.

I'll probably add another snail or two over the weekend, and I'll try to keep a closer eye on them.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
More than likely, the snail died and then decomposed (octos don't leave much :rolleyes: in a shell to foul the water). This would definitely cause an ammonia->nitrite->nitrate spike, the first two being the dangerous points. The smaller the tank, the more impact even small critters can have.

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hmmm. There wasn't a lot of crap left, just black bits that spread in the water when I fished he shell out. The water doesn't stink, but the shell reaaaaally did. The same thing happened with the previous 3 snails back in the 10g tank.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
You can pretty much count on, if it is dead and smells foul, it will produce an ammonia spike. We often used dead shrimp to create such spikes to advance the cycle (increase the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite to nitrate rapidly) of a new aquarium.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
You might try a few small saltwater hermit crabs. They are hardy and may be eaten but either way they will help keep the aquarium clean. They are so small that an inadvertent death will have almost no impact, especially if there are several as they will cannibalize their dead but not usually their own live.

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
I've been trying to look for hermit crabs for weeks! It's odd how I can't find them anywhere considering how common they are. Unfortunately, I'm smack in the middle of the city, and the nearest beach is a good 3 hours away. My LFS has red ones, but they're too pricey as a one time meal.

The rainy season has started here, and I'm hoping that means the markets have live crabs soon. July usually marks the season of Asian shore crabs. I hope I can keep a few pieces alive.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catifshconnoisseur

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak