• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Setup?

craigl

O. bimaculoides
Registered
I have a 30 gallon cube that has been cycling while i was trying to figure out what will be going in it..Being the SPS nut that i am i was originally planning to have yet another SPS tank :smile: So, i added the rock, skimmer, fuge, and PC lights which have been in the closet collecting dust but, i figured id break them out to keep some color on the rock till i decided what i was putting in the tankl and what lighting demands those creatures would have.... This time i went with a bare bottom tank which brings me to my questions....
After reading the articles stickied to the top i have noticed that it says cuttles like to dig in the sand but a DSB may not be a good idea. I also noticed it said they dont like intense lighting. I have seen a few people on here which seem to have a good grasp on cuttles keeping these animals with montiporas, acroporas, and other corals with a demand for high intensity lighting. So, i was wondering what may be the best idea for lighting a cuttle tank? T5 HO, metal halide/T5 combo? straight metal halide with no supplement lighting? My other question is would a barebottom tank pose any issues? Finally, i know Octo's are know escape artists...are cuttlefish the same? would a lid be in my and the cuttles best interest?
Thanks in advance, I am just trying to get the setup "dialed in" before welcoming any new inhabitants.

craigl;111542 said:
After reading the articles stickied to the top i have noticed that it says cuttles like to dig in the sand but a DSB may not be a good idea.

The species you are likely to get, S. bandensis, digs, but not enough to get me to worry about them with a DSB.

I also noticed it said they dont like intense lighting. I have seen a few people on here which seem to have a good grasp on cuttles keeping these animals with montiporas, acroporas, and other corals with a demand for high intensity lighting. So, i was wondering what may be the best idea for lighting a cuttle tank? T5 HO, metal halide/T5 combo? straight metal halide with no supplement lighting?

Truth is, not many people have kept them with MH. For the last 4 or 5 years, people have been interested in understanding them better so they have mostly been is species only tanks. The thought has been that the bright light could effect their sensitive eyes. Recently, some people have kept them under MH with seemingly no problems.

My other question is would a barebottom tank pose any issues?

I would go with a thin layer of sand. When they are young, they seem to very much like the sand.

:biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back