• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

setup

I'm not totally familiar with the Eclipse - I mean, I've looked at them online and in LFSs, but never opened one up. Could an octo get his arms caught in the filtration or otherwise get into trouble?

Another problem is that the Eclipse is a complete system - it would be difficult of not impossible to add a protein skimmer, which you need even for a small octopus. Even small octopuses will ink.

So the size is good for a dwarf octopus, but I'm not sure that the Eclipse is the best way to go.

Nancy

Have a friend who thinks the sun rises and sets on Eclipse systems...but, they are not good enough for octos, even dwarves...they were meant for freshwater setups, and have been slightly upgraded to meet some basic salt requirements, but there is no way they could maintain the quality needed for a ceph...sorry !

The best is still the 50-60 gallon tank, with a good filter and a great skimmer...costwise, it is also the most efficient for small octos like a bimac.

greg

I get the impression that dwarfs aren't as interactive and are much more hit-or-miss because when you find one for sale, its typically fully grown with a few weeks or months left to live. Bimacs really seem to be the way to go, with the best of all worlds: intermediate size, aquacultured stock, diurnal behavior.

I agree with Cthulhu: if you're serious about getting an octo, get a "real" setup.

Dan

heh, hope that green smiley means its a joke? LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Joking aside, a cuttle would be an even worse consideration

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back